Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not in the Wrangler club yet but I am on the hunt. I have found one that ticks all the boxes. However the gent said it needs topping up with water on a weekly basis if driven alot.

I really want this to be the one, but its obviously a bit of a red flag. But I didn't know if this was a bit more common in older cars. It's 2001 4.0.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kate

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm not in the Wrangler club yet but I am on the hunt. I have found one that ticks all the boxes. However the gent said it needs topping up with water on a weekly basis if driven alot.

I really want this to be the one, but its obviously a bit of a red flag. But I didn't know if this was a bit more common in older cars. It's 2001 4.0.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kate
Well I’m no mechanic (but I do play one on TV). If it was a simple /cheap fix the owner would have done it already. If not when enjoying his Jeep,certainly when selling it. GL.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,921 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, red flag. Water is either leaking or going into the engine. It's a closed system so the question is where it's going because that latter scenario isn't cheap to fix.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Being a 2001 it is most likely a cracked head. They have a known issue with cracking heads. At the very least it sounds like blown head gasket. Either way, it is not a cheap repair and can lead to a blown motor if not addressed. Worst case it is probably a $1500ish repair.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If the price is right I wouldn't hesitate.... BUT it would have to be priced a couple thousand less than one without probs.
If you're mechanically inclined at all you can swap on a reman head in a weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts