Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Was under my 2014 Sport today checking the rear brakes and I noticed the back plate for the passenger side brake had a wet oil film on it. Looks like it's coming from the axle area. The driver side plate was dry. Is this the sign of a bad seal?

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 2013 had that last year, my main dealer noticed when I was having an oil change they fixed them under warranty.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
This seems to be a pretty common problem. My 13 had it happen with less than 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question - When the rear axle seals are replaced on both sides does the differential cover and fluid need to be removed?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Question - When the rear axle seals are replaced on both sides does the differential cover and fluid need to be removed?
I don't believe so. I'm not 100% on this because its one of the only things I've ever had done under warranty. I think there is a retaining plate behind the hub which allows the axle to be pulled. That is where the bearing and seal are.

Some oil will be lost pulling the axle along with what was lost due to leakage, so it would need to be topped off.

EDIT: I can see my info is probably incorrect based on Footsoldiers post. Sorry about that!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Yes. The seals are mounted inboard and you'll have to remove the cover and gear carrier to get to the seals.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. The seals are mounted inboard and you'll have to remove the cover and gear carrier to get to the seals.
That's interesting because the dealer tried to get me to service the rear differential while it was there. Could they have been attempting to double bill? Like charge FCA for the axle seals and differential fluids then get me to pay for the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
15,382 Posts
My understanding is that on the rear D44 the seal goes between the bearing and the bearing retainer plate on the outside, don't believe there is an inner seal. Also my understanding that the bearings are lubed from the diff fluid. I'M NOT AN EXPERT. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Now the front I know has inner seals and the unit bearings are a sealed unit.

When I replaced my rear shafts I used shafts that already had bearing/seals pressed in place. Here's a pic from install.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
This is not correct.

On the rear axle, the seals are out at the ends as Baby Blue Sound stated.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My understanding is that on the rear D44 the seal goes between the bearing and the bearing retainer plate on the outside, don't believe there is an inner seal. Also my understanding that the bearings are lubed from the diff fluid. I'M NOT AN EXPERT. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Now the front I know has inner seals and the unit bearings are a sealed unit.

When I replaced my rear shafts I used shafts that already had bearing/seals pressed in place. Here's a pic from install.

OK, this *is* how I thought it to be. They turned my warranty job pretty quick and the diff cover looked undisturbed.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
This is not correct.

On the rear axle, the seals are out at the ends as Baby Blue Sound stated.
My bad! I guess my brain went to fronts where I am working. Sorry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts