Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have changed every bulb on the exterior of my 98 TJ.

But seems when I flip my turn signal lever all the way either up or down, my flasher blick very quickly. I know this normally means a bad bulb somewhere. But, if I raise or lower the lever slightly to engage the directionals they work fine.

Do I have a bad lever or a bad section of wiring somewhere?

When I bought the Jeep the front right outside marker light was broken with water in the lense. I fixed it and it seems to work fine but I am wondering if the socket is bad. I don't know, been bugging me for a few weeks now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hard to tell without putting a voltmeter on some of the input and output wires, but it sure sounds like the switch is bad. Anytime you can wiggle or force a switch and it works...it's usually the switch. Look to see the connectors to it are tight though too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do, thanks!

Hard to tell without putting a voltmeter on some of the input and output wires, but it sure sounds like the switch is bad. Anytime you can wiggle or force a switch and it works...it's usually the switch. Look to see the connectors to it are tight though too.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sure thing. Or you could just move here to Iowa where almost nobody uses turn signals anyway...:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the exact same problem a few weeks ago, except not only that but my gas warning ding was dinging constantly only when id get over 40 mph! I took my right front fender flares buld out and it stoped, still dont know what the problem is, if i put the bulb back in itll start doing it again

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D:thumb: Yeah I don't know why I am worried about it, it's the same down here in South Florida. As a matter of fact, when you put your directional on to change lanes people speed up to block you.

Thanks again!

Sure thing. Or you could just move here to Iowa where almost nobody uses turn signals anyway...:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have you checked the flasher? On my 02 it's above the steering wheel right next to the hazard switch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No have not, but I will now that you mention it. Can it be checked or should I just try replacing it?

Have you checked the flasher? On my 02 it's above the steering wheel right next to the hazard switch.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would just swap it with another relay if you have one laying around.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I doubt the relay would respond to pushing harder on the switch if the switch were good, but I've seen stranger things.

:D:thumb: Yeah I don't know why I am worried about it, it's the same down here in South Florida. As a matter of fact, when you put your directional on to change lanes people speed up to block you.

Thanks again!
Same here. I was in London once where its much harder to get a driver's license as far as demonstrated skill and courtesy are concerned. Over there, the way they did it was turn on the signal and start changing lanes. If the person wasn't out of the way by the time you made the lane change, the collision was considered their fault for not getting out of the way, and they had to pay up for damages.
The law was that you had the right to change lanes any time you needed to, as long as you signaled first, and gave a reasonable chance for them to move out of your path. That's the way it should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts