Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading and reading trying to do all I can before I leave for deployment in a few weeks but I can't grasp on whether I have enough bumpstop length.

2005 wrangler sport 3" teraflex suspension lift/1.25" BL

Just bought a set of bilstein 5100's Rears are installed, fronts are being shipped in on Thursday.

Rears (bilsteins currently installed):

View attachment 270702

BILSTEIN REAR MEASUREMENT:
Extended: 22.44"
Collapsed: 13.98

Fronts (rancho 5652 installed currently):
View attachment 270703

BILSTEIN FRONT MEASUREMENT:
Extended: 24.00"
Collapsed: 14.88"

Unsure what bumpstop I'm suppose to measure, I was hoping you guys could tell me if I have it right.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
You want your bumpstop to hit right before your shock bottoms out. Bottoming out shocks...BAD

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Put the frame up on jack stands. Pull the springs, unbolt the sway bar links, pull the foam bump stops and leave yourself with just the axle, tires and shocks. Jack the axle up straight until the bump stops bottom out. If the upper and lower cups stop hard before the shocks fully compress, before the tire hits anything or anything else hits anything else, your bump stops are at least good enough. If you want to maximize your up travel before your first instance of contact occurs, go for it as long as you're not reaching the limits of travel for any one component.

Also, articulate the axle both directions and verify that the bump stops are the first thing to stop hard there as well. It's really just common sense.....you want the bump stops to be the first things to make contact but you also don't want them to be so long that you're losing out on available up travel. That's it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have access to any of my tools till later but i measured from the top of the bumpstop were it meets the (coil spring isolator?) to the bottom of the cup, fronts was 5 3/4" and the rears were 3"

Does that do any justice?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
So you have 5 3/4" of space from the bump to the cup. Now you need to know the distance you have before the front shock bottoms out. To maximize, I try to have no more than 1/4" more bumpstop than shock travel.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bilstein rear shaft measured 5" I don't have the new bilsteins to measure but it has a collapsed length of 14.88" with 5 3/4" bumpstop length.

The ranchos I have on have 3 1/2" shaft visible.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
The bilstein rear shaft measured 5" I don't have the new bilsteins to measure but it has a collapsed length of 14.88" with 5 3/4" bumpstop length.

The ranchos I have on have 3 1/2" shaft visible.
there are more things to consider than exposed shaft, and your shocks probably bottom out before the entire shaft can go into the shock body.

I would imagine that you will have other things bind before your front bumpstops hit if you have 5 3/4" available uptravel. thats why imped pointed you towards cycling your suspension. you have to look at what hits first. trackbar, tie-rod, drag link, tires, etc. all of this is explained in detail in the thread unlimited04 mentioned. its a good read and will help set up your suspension the right way

the only true way to get your proper bumpstop length is to cycle your suspension. there is no simple answer based on shock lengths. every jeep is different and you have to find out what your limitations are and set up your bump stops accordingly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts