Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says. I plan on getting a 3" teraflex suspension lift and I have a 1.25 jks body lift with 1" mml..
I want 33's so bad..
Will I lose tons of power? I currently have 31" mts.. 97 4.0 auto

·
Registered
451 Posts
It will be tolerable with an auto, but new 4.88 gears would be GREAT.

If you have good tread on your 31's, I would buy the gears first - they are actually only half as much as doing a good lift with new tires. Maybe more if you decide to do an ARB or even two. Then you can enjoy the extra performance while waiting to afford the new tires and lift, and then a little bit of performance goes away, but you are enjoying bigger tires.

One thing, if you have a D35 rear axle, replace it. No point going rock crawling without a rear locker, and no point locking a D35 with 33's, because it will break.

I wheeled in Moab with my stock Rubicon on 31's and 4.11 gears, and had a lot of fun while skipping only a few more intense trails.

·
Registered
817 Posts
u don't have to, but you will definitely not regret it of you do.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I ran 31" Bfgs for a LONG time, (3 sets) I have 33" Duratracs with an OME suspension a JKS BL and MML and Zone quick discos...I MISS the performance of the 31"s. The mileage was a LOT better...I have had great disagreements with people on here in reference to how MY Jeep drove....my mileage was too high, I was "lugging it in 5th gear" when I was cruising around town at 40-45 mph.....only turning about 1500 rpm but could "roll back into the throttle" and be fine. That ability is GONE since I added the 33"s.
It may not be as noticeable with an auto IDK...I have 3.73s in a Dana 44, and yeah I need to upgrade gears. Other than that...for me as a DD it is about the perfect set-up....'cept for needing a "tummy-tuck". You know the saying, "never done"!!

Good Luck!!

Other than that....I like the set-up......plenty of clearance

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 4.0 l6 5 speed w/ 1 3/4 bl with 31's and I want to regear now just for my setup now I couldn't imagine a 33"s and a 3 " lift on these stock gears

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have a 4.0 l6 5 speed w/ 1 3/4 bl with 31's and I want to regear now just for my setup now I couldn't imagine a 33"s and a 3 " lift on these stock gears
auto performs a lot better to me accelerating than a manual . my wife's 4.2,5 speed performs good with 31's but not as good as my 4.0,auto with 33's

·
Registered
535 Posts
Been running 33's, 4" lift, with factory 4:10/4:11's and an I4, 5 speed stick for about a year now. Wheelin' is fine, but highway travel and overall MGP really suck! No plans on re-gearing till I get a Dana 44 for the rear. Will do a complete Superior axle/gear/locker/truss rebuild and bolt it up. Just a waiting game to find an axle housing at a decent price.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Huh I heard the autos were nothing but sluggish which is why I bought a 5 speed and stayed away from the auto but who knew

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I had the 3.07 and skinny 28's and I6 and could not wait to regear...I could not imagine 33's and anything less than 3.73

·
Knows a couple things...
49,125 Posts
Just like the title says. I plan on getting a 3" teraflex suspension lift and I have a 1.25 jks body lift with 1" mml..
I want 33's so bad..
Will I lose tons of power? I currently have 31" mts.. 97 4.0 auto
Regearing to 4.10 would be ideal but it would be tolerable if your '97 has the 3.55 ratio. I regear for 33" tires if you have the 3.07 ratio.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have 33's with 3.07 gears and its not that bad. It'll go 80 on the highway uphill and against the wind no problem. I don't know why everyone thinks they have to re-gear. I actually like the gears I have because the motor is only turning about 2800 rpms doing 80.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm running stock gears with a 6 inch lift and 35s. It doesn't have any problem turning them offroad or on the highway. (And i have the 2.5) Gearing is overrated and expensive.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Have to? No. Will you want to? Probably. I didn't regear my 5spd w/ 3.73 and it is livable on the highway. You get used to downshifting on uphills. But I can tell you that it blows offroad. A regear will be my next mod after my tummy tuck but I will go straight to 4.88 in anticipation of 35s on my next set of tires.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,125 Posts
I don't know why everyone thinks they have to re-gear.
Because when it is geared properly, the engine operates in its power band which means it is operatiing as efficiently as possible. That allows the engine to operate at the RPMs it was designed to which maximizes its efficiency, mpg, and power. An undergeared engine is inefficient, can't produce the power it was designed to, doesn't get maximum mpg, and it lugs at normal highway speeds... and 80 mph is not a normal highway speed for 99% of us.

And if proper gearing was overrated, all Jeeps would come with the same axle ratios.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do the lift and tires, then try to accelerate up hill. If you fail you'll know why. Your tranny will last longer with proper gearing. Get a trans temp gauge and see what the difference is after you install the tires.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
If you have the 32rh ( I believe you do?) Then you can live with the 33s, especially if you get a lighter, smaller 33 (think, duratrac) compared to a heavy MT that is a true 33 inches (think, any big mud tire). I have 3.07s, I6/ 32rh and pull average mpgs for a similar wrangler, that is regeared. I have plenty of power except for those very steep hills. Normally I am fine with all of my normal driving, which includes an hour both way drive uphill every other week. Sure the regear will be nice, but I plan to bump up tire size in a few more years, and don't see the reason to spend money I don't have on something I don't NEED that will be replaced in the future. If you have the means, regear your axles. That is the best option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts