Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need a cat in ny? Its and 87 4.2 so it has no emissions testing on it so would it matter if I just took the cat off and ran a strate pipe to the muffler?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would leave it on, it serves a purpose, and will sound a little quieter, that being said 95 and older dont have to pass emmissions in NY.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DILLIGAF said:
I would leave it on, it serves a purpose, and will sound a little quieter, that being said 95 and older dont have to pass emmissions in NY.
It's broken that's why I want to take it off. Wont the inspector look for one anyways? Just to make sure I have one?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You are required to have a Catalytic converter in ALL 50 states, regardless of which state you live in, and regardless of whether or not emissions testing is required.

It is illegal to talk about removing Federally Mandated emissions equipment, and discussing it is forbidden here on this board.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Your 1st amendment rights apply unless you're talking about catalytic converter removal
:lol:

Yeah, but its still federal law, and as such we legally have to keep the system as it was designed and installed for the year in which it was made.

They make some real nice cats now a days so its not a problem getting it replaced and maintaining your legal system. So nice that performance is actually improved with them in some cases.

I would replace it at my earliest convenience.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Best thing I did for making the YJ run better was replace the CAT. I know its an expense but it runs so much better than it did before. The state inspector will have a checklist of required items smog test or not that have to be there to pass. NV is getting as anal as Cali. So I had no choice.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Best thing I did for making the YJ run better was replace the CAT. I know its an expense but it runs so much better than it did before. The state inspector will have a checklist of required items smog test or not that have to be there to pass. NV is getting as anal as Cali. So I had no choice.
Washington has adopted the Cali standard; so we really have to watch ourselves.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
No cats on my Jeep in Washington and I passed with flying colors. If it runs right cats are not needed. Who gives a crap what the tree hugging liberal politicians say.

·
Genius
20,964 Posts
Federal law prohibits tampering or removal of catalytic converters and the discussion of illegal activities is prohibited on WF.

Closed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.