Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help diagnosing my recent electrical issues with my 01 jeep. For a little back story, on the 14th I bought it from a dealer, on the 16th I hit a side of the road puddle with the passenger side and the belt developed a squeal but I didn't think anything of it and continued to drive it about 200 miles.

This brings us to yesterday afternoon when my check gauges like came on while driving and I noticed that my volt gauge needle was on the dot between 9 and 14. When I got home I did the key trick and received code P1682 for low voltage but drove it for another 35 or so miles and it was just fine, albeit the volt gauge was still on the dot instead of 14 like normal. Well finally last night I went to go get some fast food and as I was nearing my house, after about an 11 mile trip and a few minutes in the drive thru, my voltage gauge was nearing the 9 volt mark and the red line.

Today I went out to look at the alternator location to make sure it wouldn't be a huge pita job and noticed what looked like metal shavings on the top bolt behind the alternator.

Do you guys think the water from Monday caused the belt to just start slipping and therefore not allowing the alternator to perform correctly or do you think I need a new alternator?

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
To cure your curiosity, you an pull the alternator and have it tested at any place like advance auto, autozone etc. they can tell you if it is bad or not. How does the belt look? Have you looked to see if the belt is actually turning the alternator? A picture of the metal shavings may help, sounds a little odd like maybe it is not tight.

·
Registered
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L 5spd Money pit Green
395 Posts
If you decide to take it in and have the dudes :wavey::wavey: at your favorite auto parts store spin it to test it ..... have them spin it as much as they will (just hit the stop button while the test spin is on going and then hit repeat test) so that it warms up if it doesn't fail the first spin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok well this is really weird. I took it to work yesterday to have the mechanic change it out, well we found out that some how a wire got unbolted from the alternator. I have no clue how as I haven't touched the engine bay since before I bought the jeep

Here you can see the wire hanging down

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hard to troubleshoot visually when you don't have a "before" picture, I know from experience. Not a bad idea to take a few pics of your engine bay while everything is running perfectly, then later when you have problems you can compare "then" to "now'. Really comes in handy when doing mods or changing wiring / vacuum lines and you can't remember where that little purple wire with the white stripe was coming from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It never even crossed my mind to look for a loose wire because the last time the hood was opened by me was the 11th and this issue didn't arise until the 21st. That's 10 days and probably close to 300 miles of driving with normal voltage levels

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a truck one time with low voltage, and it turned out that most of the wires had popped out of the connector. I changed out the battery and alternator, still couldn't get it to work. Finally took it to an old friend at a shop, and he fixed it in 10 seconds. I was "irked" that I hadn't seen it. And Richsap: that is a GREAT idea. Another one I haven't ever thought of before. As soon as the snow melts, I'll arrange a photo shoot with my jeep. Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hard to troubleshoot visually when you don't have a "before" picture, I know from experience. Not a bad idea to take a few pics of your engine bay while everything is running perfectly, then later when you have problems you can compare "then" to "now'. Really comes in handy when doing mods or changing wiring / vacuum lines and you can't remember where that little purple wire with the white stripe was coming from.
Would have never thought to do that, great tip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts