Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sheild and subsequent mounting brackets have rotted out on my 99' TJ. The gas tank seems to be fine just the shield and mounting hardware has rotted due to father time and towing in Salt water. Any hints on installation or where and what parts to buy would be appreciated.... Is the tank and shield one component or sold separately???? Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
tank and skid are to different pieces ... factory replacements are available for around 50-60 new ... or high strenghth aftermarket ones 150-350 ... only installation tip I can give you is to wait unitll you are on empty, a full tank is heavy!!!!!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am currently looking at the Savvy aluminum. It comes with all new mounting hardware, and will raise your tank 1 inch for a tummy tuck like "lift". It is supposedly way stronger than stock at a mere 4 pound difference.
Now, if I just had the coin.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
Well worth the money .
X1000. If you are having rust issues, Savvy is the way to go. Comes with all new mounting hardware, tank straps, and carriage bolts. Can also be used with or without a body lift as mentioned above.
If you buy a cheaper (not so compete) skid/kit, you may kick yourself for not paying a little more while fighting rusted parts during install.
it's one of my favorite Jeep mods.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What everyone else said. I recently installed the Savvy on my 99, way better coverage than the stock sheet metal one and it will take a hit with no problem. My stocker was pushed in about 2", with the Savvy my gas gauge is now much more accurate. If you email Gearld at Savvy he may may be able to give you a discount code.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts