Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked back at my Jeep (as you do) and noticed this leak which gets pretty intense once you turn off the ignition.

IMG_9863.jpg
IMG_9862.jpg

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try some JB Weld and see what happens
That's definitely what I would do on the trail. Just figured I'd ask around since I have the luxury of not being stranded right now, haha

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Not sure if I can see what you are referring to in the photos supplied but I agree with pkdailey4 that I would try JB Weld first. I have used it in other applications with great success. Clean the area well and apply a thin layer. Once that is set you can add a slightly thicker and larger patch. It seems to cure faster and stronger in thin layers rather than one thick patch.

Good luck and let us know if it works. Certainly cheaper than a new radiator. If that fails, consider finding a radiator shop that is willing to fix it rather than replace it. They seem to know how to solder stuff way better than the average bear.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Immediate - patch, as soon as you can, replace.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
You made it 11 years. Congrats. Now replace it before you add the cost of a tow to the bill.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if I can see what you are referring to in the photos supplied but I agree with pkdailey4 that I would try JB Weld first.
Click to enlarge! It's spraying out of the plastic like a water fountain!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You made it 11 years. Congrats. Now replace it before you add the cost of a tow to the bill.
Sadly this one is only 4 years old. The original one developed a pretty good leak at the metal/plastic seam :(

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Well, a patch might buy you a few days. Sand the area, then some good cleaner, then some JB. Get the new one in the mail or carry a few gallons of water. maybe both.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Click to enlarge! It's spraying out of the plastic like a water fountain!!
OK, I see it now. So JB Weld for plastic and forget the soldering recommendation. I still recommend the layered approach rather than one big glob from the get go. The epoxies that are made today are pretty good.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My buddy was free yesterday, and between two of the dealers here the parts were in stock, so i ended up replacing it last night.

Reactions: pkdailey4

·
Retired Moderator
100,578 Posts
Good call..:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts