Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so i am currently running the BFG KO2's in 34x10.50-17 and am thinking of moving up to 35's

Will i need to change my stock tire mount to accommodate 35x12.50-17's ?

Keeping in mid that BFG's run a little smaller than advertised...

(My 34's actually measure out to 33.5)

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
What rims? My 35x12.5r17 BFG KM2s on stock rims dont fit on the stock carrier at all. They are too wide. Now if you have aftermarket rims with a lower backspacing, they might fit. All that aside, a 35 is awfully heavy for the stock tire carrier. You should look at upgrading it in some fashion no matter what.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,226 Posts
573a3bc4dd76a300892127a5 TC.jpg

^^^I went with this HD Teraflex Hinged Carrier on mine. It is adjustable and good all the way up to and through 37's. Very easy install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TpzXGHNgW8

^^^Here is the install video.

Do it right the first time and save your tailgate..

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Been running a 35 BFG KM2 (94 lbs) on the stock carrier for over a year now with out issue. I did extend the bumpstops with radiator hose to stabilize it better. Wheel every chance I get.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YEP, i kinda figured that i would need to step up and get an aftermarket tire carrier. i was hoping not to spend $800 to do it. that said, Teraflex makes great gear and is really well thought out. AND Dennis Woods videos are entertaining in themselves.

It seems that with 35's comes a lot of change. New tire carrier upgrade, re gearing your front and rear differentials.

Ahh, where is that money tree again? :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What rims? My 35x12.5r17 BFG KM2s on stock rims dont fit on the stock carrier at all. They are too wide. Now if you have aftermarket rims with a lower backspacing, they might fit. All that aside, a 35 is awfully heavy for the stock tire carrier. You should look at upgrading it in some fashion no matter what.
I havent upgraded/changed my wheels yet. Im running stock rims. When my 34's are due for replacement in the spring, im going to give the wife her new rims :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stock Carrier on stock rim with a 35x12.50 mud grappler over a year with no issues. Doesnt get much heavier than that for a 35

·
Registered
853 Posts
My co-worker has a 35" tire on his stock carrier and it's starting to bend/door doesn't shut properly anymore and it always made noise.i think I paid around $600 for my aluminum teraflex tire carrier with free next day shipping off amazon?i love it,my huge 37" gy mtr's fit perfectly with no noises and the door opens/shuts just like stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just run the stock rear tire till you save some extra cash,the damage of the door/hinges may not be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts