Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need to install a steering stabilizer when upgrading the stock 16" cheap steel bologna skins that come with a jk to 33" tires on 18x9 XD cranks ???

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
What's wrong with the one you have?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Do you need to install a steering stabilizer when upgrading the stock 16" cheap steel bologna skins that come with a jk to 33" tires on 18x9 XD cranks ???
No

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I run around on 37's with a blown stabilizer, you dont need to upgrade. really the only reason I have a rubicon express is because I ran my stocker into the ground too many times and their $60 stabilizer comes with the relocation bracket. I should have just taken it off and forgotten about it.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
What psi are you running?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
heavier tires means more unsprung weight, you are going to feel the road a bit more.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Cheap investment. Get a quality steering stabilizer. Good buy, unless you want to try a little death wobble.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The more u lift and bigger the tires, a stabilizer does help. I bought a hydraulic stabilizer, but I'm going to replace that with a gas SS. I have 4" of lift in the front and the steering feels a bit more loose on the road than when I was at 2.5". I think a gas SS might tighten that up a little.
Don't spend a stupid amt of money in a stabilizer especially if you haven't done any major mods to your tires or suspension, you'll be disappointed.
Skyjacker, ProComp, Teraflex make good stabilizers at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Just my "opinion" (and we all know about "opinions"...)
I've always considered a steering stabilizer to be like a shock absorber for the steer linkage. It reduces the shock load to the steerbox. So when running off road where obstacles try to twist the tires side to side, it provides a damping force. This also helps keep the steering wheel from getting twisted out of our hands.
Professional instructors teach wrapping the thumb over the outside of the steering wheel for this reason. With power steering, it's not so dramatic, but still a good idea.
On the road they tend to mask problems, so in my personal opinion the draw backs outweigh the benefits for street use. But that is a very heated topic with good arguments on both sides.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I developed a serious death wobble on my jeep after the lift was installed. The tires were worn so they were replaced. Problem still existed. Mechanic suggested I check the steering stabilizer. It was new so I didn't think that could be a problem. It was a Tera Flex so I didn't think that was the problem. I checked it and found it was leaking fluid. They replaced it at no charge, that's why I say it's cheap insurance. Death wobble is scary especially for my wife. Problem was then solved.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I developed a serious death wobble on my jeep after the lift was installed. The tires were worn so they were replaced. Problem still existed. Mechanic suggested I check the steering stabilizer. It was new so I didn't think that could be a problem. It was a Tera Flex so I didn't think that was the problem. I checked it and found it was leaking fluid. They replaced it at no charge, that's why I say it's cheap insurance. Death wobble is scary especially for my wife. Problem was then solved.
No it was not. A steering stabilizer has absolutely nothing to do with deathwobble, other than the fact that it can mask it slightly. If you had true deathwobble, a stabilizer wouldn't fix it. I would check your trackbar as it is the 99% of the time culprit, followed by balljoints. The problem is, on the internet, any form of front end shake, shimmy, vibration, impact, etc is referred to as death wobble, but deathwobble is a very specific thing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
No it was not. A steering stabilizer has absolutely nothing to do with deathwobble, other than the fact that it can mask it slightly. If you had true deathwobble, a stabilizer wouldn't fix it. I would check your trackbar as it is the 99% of the time culprit, followed by balljoints. The problem is, on the internet, any form of front end shake, shimmy, vibration, impact, etc is referred to as death wobble, but deathwobble is a very specific thing.

Last time I went Jeeping, I had stock tie rod and stock SS

Rock pushed hard against the tie rod and bent it outta shape, given the location of the stock SS, the plastic around it was soo bent outta shape, I couldn't make a left turn so I took it off while on the trail and went my merry way

On the way home though, I got DW bad

I pulled over, cut off some plastic of the stock SS (that hindered me from turning on the trails) and put it back on the already bent tie rod.

Although no more DW when I put the stock SS on, I think it had more to do with my tie rod bent outta shape?

Bout 2 weeks later, I replaced with synergy tie rod and fox SS, aligned, and no problems since

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Seriously. OP just got new tires, they set the psi too high. He's feeling every bump in the the road. Reduce the psi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts