Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. Just pulled off my splash guard under the front bumper to install a bull bar, and found this (pics). Not connected. This is for a 2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon.

1. What is it?
2. Is it needed?
3. Should it be connected to something?

Thanks for the help. Loving being a Jeeper!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Does that link come out of the bushing that easily? I don't believe it should at least. Yes, it is the sway bar link as has been stated, but I cannot see how it would be pulled off the bushing. Unless the JL link is very different from the JK.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
OP: the swaybar gives your Jeep stability in turns, particularly at speed. You want to drive the Jeep with extreme caution until you reconnect that swaybar.

It would be great to hear the story on this Jeep. I doubt the swaybar came disconnected from the factory. If it did, that’d bring FCA’s carelessness to new levels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
History

This is a Rubicon, so I have the inside sway bar disconnect switch. And I did use that a few weeks ago in Big Bend, but turned it off as soon as I got done with the difficult spots of the trail.

I DID take it to get warranty work done on the steering issue (recall). After that, for the first time ever, I noticed play in the steering. Felt like it was shimmying, and memories of reading and watching videos of the death wobble popped into my head.

So it's likely that the tech may have manually disconnected it.

Does it connect to the bushing (in green)? If so, and the tech disconnected it, I drove a thousand miles (including 80+ mph) with it off.

Thank you again for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
That’s not manually disconnected that is a parts failure. The bushings are not suppose to come out of the swaybar link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
970 Posts
Agreed. No bushing on the sway arm is a janky situation. I’d take it back to the dealer and say WTF? I have manual sway bar links on my TJ and I decided to add Currie Antirock sway bar system front and rear, but I have absolutely no reason with the electronic sway bar disconnect on my JLUR to disconnect the links, unless I’m working on my suspension. Someone messed badly with your Jeep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you

I GREATLY appreciate everyone's help. I will take it back to the dealership. I hate too, due to the "fix" they had for an issue I was having. (Only when it is below 40 degrees, and only at highway speeds, the steering sticks, and only allows 2-3" of play in the steering wheel. The tech's solution? Before getting on the highway, turn the wheel all the way to the left post, then to the right post. Repeat that 4 or 5 times, and it should keep it from doing that).

Awesome advice. I wrote corporate to discuss my satisfaction with that answer. Haven't heard back yet.

You guys are a big part of the reason I'm happy to be a part of the Jeep family. Happy New Year! And Happy Jeeping!

·
Registered
970 Posts
You may want to find another dealer that will provide you actual customer service! FCA screwed up mightily if the JL snd JT are warm weather only vehicles. Plus 40 degrees isn’t cold. Mine certainly doesn’t do that even in the teens for temperature. The person that told you to cycle the steering back and forth 5 times in “cold” weather is just plain stupid. Ask him if he drives a JL! Good luck but just keep bringing it in under warranty until you get satisfaction. Oh and make sure they give you a loaner car. That sometimes speeds them up a bit!

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,572 Posts
I GREATLY appreciate everyone's help. I will take it back to the dealership. I hate too, due to the "fix" they had for an issue I was having. (Only when it is below 40 degrees, and only at highway speeds, the steering sticks, and only allows 2-3" of play in the steering wheel. The tech's solution? Before getting on the highway, turn the wheel all the way to the left post, then to the right post. Repeat that 4 or 5 times, and it should keep it from doing that).

Awesome advice. I wrote corporate to discuss my satisfaction with that answer. Haven't heard back yet.

You guys are a big part of the reason I'm happy to be a part of the Jeep family. Happy New Year! And Happy Jeeping!
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed, don't hesitate to send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

·
Registered
41 Posts
Newbie here. Just pulled off my splash guard under the front bumper to install a bull bar, and found this (pics). Not connected. This is for a 2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon.

1. What is it?
2. Is it needed?
3. Should it be connected to something?

Thanks for the help. Loving being a Jeeper!
Did you buy this Jeep new or used?
Could previous owner have purposely disconnected it?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The link doesn't appear broken, and the bushing looks to be firmly attached to the mount. Even if the link could fit over the washer, what would have hit the link hard enough to push it over like that?

I can't help but wonder if a tech forgot to take off the nut and then hit the link with a hammer a bunch.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
I just saw on another Wrangler forum the exact same issue of a swaybar link that became disconnected; in that other case it was a stock Sahara.

He was doing what looks like moderate off-roading. The photos look very similar, although this other guy’s link got slightly bent.

Two exact same cases in two days. Coincidence?

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
The issue appears to be weak bushings and link mounts.

Driving on a washboard road this other JL owner with a 3.5” lift blew three: bent a rear link mount...

...and busted both front swaybar link bushings.

Not very confidence-inspiring, huh...?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I’ve had my JLUR at King of the Hammers and Moab twice and have never had anything like this happen. If it’s not a Rubicon then perhaps that’s part of the issue? Still it seems rather improbable that a bushing could be hammered out of a link unless some kind of catastrophic driving or accident occurred. Let us know what your dealer says when you approach them with this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I’ve had my JLUR at King of the Hammers and Moab twice and have never had anything like this happen. If it’s not a Rubicon then perhaps that’s part of the issue? Still it seems rather improbable that a bushing could be hammered out of a link unless some kind of catastrophic driving or accident occurred. Let us know what your dealer says when you approach them with this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I could be wrong, but the above looks like a Rubicon front axle. My other thought is both use the same links. Can't be certain, but I believe so.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Isn’t that suppose to be mounted on the outboard side of the lower mount? From the looks of the bushing it was mounted on the inboard side.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts