Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I saw 2 hella 500 driving lights for 50% off so I bought them. I put them on my front bumper, but I am wondering, do I NEED to have the plastic rock guards on them? What if I am driving on the highway and all of the ssudden I want to turn them on? I would have to pull over and pull the guards off and then turn them on! Are they really needed?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
no you dont. if you think about it our headlights are ALWAYS exposed and they do just fine.. I would get covers because its more to replace a fog light then it is a $15 headlight. And it gives the jeep a more rugged "experienced" look IMO.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so if I plan on doing a 3hr drive at night into the mountians, it should be fine to take them off? I can just put them on in the morning

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Here's mine
i have these. i had them on my 87 nissan hardbody. love them! i havent put them on the jeep yet. but your fine dont worry i thought you where where talkin about covers like what you have there. the covers with the openings seem pointless cause rocks can still hit the lenses. but yeah your fine no worries! :thumb:

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,659 Posts
I leave my Hella 500's uncovered...plus they're tied in with my high beams. No problems other than bugs smashing into them in the summer.

Driving/fog lights are legal to use on road though...some lights are off-road only lights and in many places are legally required to be covered while driving on road. As far as the rock guards go...I think they look cool, but I would think they would restrict a small percentage of light, plus they're really not necessary in most situations. I'd be more worried about a rock smashing my windshield than my off-road lights...lol

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You are getting confused between a rock guard and a cover. A guard is a mesh/grid plasitc or metal. The light will shine through it. Protection varies on how close the mesh is. A cover is a solid cover which can be soft or hard. A soft cover may not protect rock impacts. You have top take the cover off to use it. Note some state regulations require additional or off road lights to be covered. Enforcement depends on when and how you get inspected and on you local law enforcement officer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts