Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock JK 2016, do I need spacers with 285/70/17 tires? 11" for the tire carrier ?

I have a terraflex rear hinge but did not get the tire carrier adjuster. Need to know before buying the tires :(

Thanks

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
Stock JK 2016, do I need spacers with 285/70/17 tires? 11" for the tire carrier ?

I have a terraflex rear hinge but did not get the tire carrier adjuster. Need to know before buying the tires :(

Thanks

Kinda confused???? Spacers for the wheels, or a spacer for tire carrier?

My tires are the size you stated.. i have wheel spacers on the axels and a small thin one on the carrier. This is assuming a stock wheel.

G2 inch and a half wheel spacer.

Cheesy for the tire carrier.

·
Registered
699 Posts

Thanks
No, you don't really need it.

I have 285/75R17 on the Teraflex hinge and stock carrier. It fits fine without a spacer, although just a bit tight (rubber isolator on the tailgate gets squeezed all the way).

I ended up adding 1.5" spacer just to be able to put on spare tire cover (I know that most fellow jeepers hate tire covers, but I actually love mine). But if you don't care about the cover - you don't need the spacer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yeap don't need them for the carrier. But, I do for the wheels. It rubs on tight turns. Now which brand. Heard good news about Spidertrax spacers and I read a review where the G2 studs broke.

So confused :(

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
Thanks. Yeap don't need them for the carrier. But, I do for the wheels. It rubs on tight turns. Now which brand. Heard good news about Spidertrax spacers and I read a review where the G2 studs broke.

Rite rite..

Anything can break, from any manufacture... I have had no issues with mine. They have held up off road and I look 'em over every time I do a tire rotation.

It's all in the person on what you want.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts

Over torque or cross thread any bolt and they'll break. G2 or spidertrax are both fine IMO.

As other have stated. For spare. Nope. No spacer needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts

Thanks

Teraflex instructions say to adjust their carrier so the tire is tight against the hinge. Use that as a judge with the stock carrier to figure out if you need a spacer or not. I started with the Teraflex Hinge with a spacer that also raised it higher (35"x12.5's on stock Rubi wheels). It was a long way from the hinge, then I got the adjustable carrier and with a 1-1/2" spacer the tire is tight against the hinge. No need for the rubber bumper on the tailgate if the tire is tight against the hinge.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just installed my ko2 315s on teraflex hinge with stock carrier. I added the teraflex spacer

The tires touch the brake lights but floats on the carrier (not flush with the hinge mount) so i right now i am reusing the stock rubber and an extension on the driver side.

I tried fitting with no spacers but the 3rd brake light is on the way. I think im gonna get the adjustable mount since my bike rack wont fit anymore :(

·
Registered
872 Posts
I just installed my ko2 315s on teraflex hinge with stock carrier. I added the teraflex spacer

The tires touch the brake lights but floats on the carrier (not flush with the hinge mount) so i right now i am reusing the stock rubber and an extension on the driver side.

I tried fitting with no spacers but the 3rd brake light is on the way. I think im gonna get the adjustable mount since my bike rack wont fit anymore :(

Teraflex makes a couple brake light relocation brackets, one for inside the wheel, another adjustable one that looks like stock ( that's what I have). They both use the stock light fixture.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Teraflex makes a couple brake light relocation brackets, one for inside the wheel, another adjustable one that looks like stock ( that's what I have). They both use the stock light fixture.

I actually have the adjustable teraflex 3rd brake light mount. I ordered it thinking it will work with the stock tire mount but turns out it wont. My fault didnt read the details enough. So instead of returning it i will definitely just get the rest of the setup eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts