Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the general consensus? Do I need to beef up my Dana 44s if just going to 35s and moderate wheeling?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
So what is the general consensus? Do I need to beef up my Dana 44s if just going to 35s and moderate wheeling?
In my opinion from past experience your 44 rear end should have no problem running 35's. Are you planning on changing the gearing though?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would sleeve, truss and gusset it. Front D44 is a "hybrid". Front D44 and D30 have the same tubes, end forgings and knuckles.

Axle reinforcements aren't that expensive but they might prevent a more expensive problem in the future. Granted, if you never rock-crawl, you'll probably never bend the stock axles, but I'm of the mind of "better to have and not need than to need and not have."

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
It will suck
35s and 4.10s drive just fine. You can regear if you want but it isn't necessary at all. I use mine both on and off-road and never have an issue.

·
Registered
494 Posts
35s and 4.10s drive just fine. You can regear if you want but it isn't necessary at all. I use mine both on and off-road and never have an issue.

"Just Fine" is subjective. I have 35s on my JKUR and sure it drives fine but not like it used to. It's sluggish, the automatic downshifts on the highway when it didn't before. It drives like a tank.

BUT I LOVE IT!

2015 JKUR

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
You live at sea level. Come wheeling out west and get back to us.

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
what will suck and why?
You are down on power in every gear and at every speed. A stiff head wind or just about any hill will have you down shifting where before you did not. Off road you are going to need more pedal to negotiate the same obstacles you did before the tire swap. I lived with them for over a year and 4.88's are better in every way including MPG.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You are down on power in every gear and at every speed. A stiff head wind or just about any hill will have you down shifting where before you did not. Off road you are going to need more pedal to negotiate the same obstacles you did before the tire swap. I lived with them for over a year and 4.88's are better in every way including MPG.
interesting, as I thought I read on here that going to 456's or 488's will decrease MPG's

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I am running 35s with 4.10s on my 2 door Hard Rock with no issues. Granted, it lost a little "pep", but still is fine. But that all changes in 2 weeks when my Rock Monsters finally get in. Going to 37s and 5.13s.

Also going with a Pro Rock 44 with all the bells and whistles - unlimited housing, 1/2" tube upgrade, RCV axles, Pro Steer ball joints, Reid high steer knuckles, etc. Also trussing the rear, upgrading to chromoly axles and Adams 1350 rear driveshaft.

Can't wait.

:punk:

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
interesting, as I thought I read on here that going to 456's or 488's will decrease MPG's
I track my MPG, with 4.10's 15.4 average, low tank, 12.9 high 19.8. With 4.88 15.5 average, low tank 11.6, high 19.3. On the highway 4.88 do really likes 65 mph averaging around 17 mpg. But even at 80 mph I was still getting 16 mpg. And I am not having to down shift very time I hit a hill.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your driving habits will dictate if you need to beef them up. We've been running a 05 TJ with 4.10's on 35's for 9 years and a 2013 JKUR on 37's for 3 years. Both have done all of Moab except Prichett and Rusty Nail a number of times and many Colorado trails with no problems. Over 90% of the failures I've seen in Moab are skinny pedal related. If it won't make it, stand on it harder stuff. Better to back off and try another line. And we drive manuals, love them. I know a ton of serious wheelers like autos. And here on our Colorado high passes our Wranglers do great with the 4.10's. 70 mph is no sweat on the high passes, try that in your lifted, big tired auto with 4.10's and you better pack a lunch to get to the top of the pass, that is when you need to regear the autos.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
It will suck
It will suck is a little strong; I've got 4.10 with 35's:

Down-shifting heading up the mountains (or any hill) - yep, no doubt
As fast off the line - Nope, definitely slower
MPG - always sucks
Would I prefer to have different gears - yep, absolutely
Livable as a DD and toy - definitely

I live at 6,000 ft and typically wheel between 9,000 - 12,000 ft and do 80 MPH on the way to the airport every week and it's really not that bad. Disclaimer - I have a stick so it's probably not as bad as an automatic.

Now if / when I go 37's I'll re-gear for sure.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
I had 3.21s and 35s at sea level, mind you I'm still light with stock bumpers. Drove like that for 4 months. Once the appeal of driving lifted and bigger tires ended with annoying downshifting and bogging low rpms around the city. Not to mention crawling ability sucked off-road.
I regeared to 4.56 and life is awesome. Our trip out West to CO, you will feel the elevations effect on your Jeeps performance that Larry is talking about. I can see why some go 4.88 instead of 4.56. Off-road it crawled awesome on the mountain trails. Again if I did rock crawling I would want 4.88, but for light off-roading I do, it felt great to me.
4.10 you are at the cusp, around here, and my subjective opinion is you will be fine. I have a buddy who has 3.73 on 35s and he feels it has plenty of power. I haven't let him drive mine though. His was a bit long winded up hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
It will suck is a little strong; I've got 4.10 with 35's:

Down-shifting heading up the mountains (or any hill) - yep, no doubt
As fast off the line - Nope, definitely slower
MPG - always sucks
Would I prefer to have different gears - yep, absolutely
Livable as a DD and toy - definitely

I live at 6,000 ft and typically wheel between 9,000 - 12,000 ft and do 80 MPH on the way to the airport every week and it's really not that bad. Disclaimer - I have a stick so it's probably not as bad as an automatic.

Now if / when I go 37's I'll re-gear for sure.
No it's not, I have a manual also. 20K miles running stock tires, 30k miles running 35's w/4.10's and 8K miles running 35's w/4.88's. I pretty much do everything in my Jeep, it's the only vehicle I own, from driving cross country to tackling 10 rated trails. The only time I really kinda hated my Jeep was with 4.10's and 35's. 4.88's and 35's is even better than stock.

I spent some time in those rarefied heights and if I lived where you do I would be running 5.13's w/35's.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts