Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
You need atleast 4.88 with 33's to put the RPM's back in range for proper power and fuel MPG not to mention take the stress off the transmission and driveline.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Agreed^^ but you will survive for now without regearing.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Very hard, and very expensive. Shops charge a lot on labor, because it takes a good amount of skill to do it. We are talking over a grand here.

If you are really pressed on cash...there is another option. While many will disagree, you could always grab a d30 and d35 from a 4 banger. They are identical to your current axles, but are geared at 4.10. This will be about good enough. It's not perfect...but better than driving on 3.07.

I hate to give that as a solution, because it's more of a temporary work around. It really depends on your situation, ability, and the kind of wheeling you're going to be doing. Also depends on how cheap you can find axles, and the condition.

What kind of wheeling will you be doing?

·
Registered
422 Posts
4.88 for 33's is a little extreme especially if it's a DD. I'm running 4.56 on 35's and it's plenty for driving and wheeling. I have a Ford 8.8 and I suggest doing that as well...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run 4.88's with 33's on mine and its perfect for offroad or freeway @ 70 plus
I can pass without having to floor it or takeoff in 2nd from a stop.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts