Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
InkedFuel  tank_LI.jpg

I am told that I need to buy a new fuel tank because a component on my fuel tank has a crack in it and is leaking air.

I believe it is the on-board refueling vapor recovery (ORVR) system. I have attached a picture of a fuel tank showing the part.

Has anyone had success in replacing this part and not buying a whole new fuel tank? Or is it not possible to just replace the cracked component?

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
First off welcome to the forum. And I think those valves are molded into the tank.If so then you would need a tank.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are sites where you can download the factory shop manual. I would look there. Search this forum for the name of the Jeep website with the downloads. I can't believe I didn't keep that link.

I had my tank out a couple times and never paid any attention to that part.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Might be possible to repair the crack

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
You might also search eBay. I found two tanks for 2003-4 TJ but that fitting is different on them.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Yes. Any component that affects the Emissions standards will require replacing, but may not have to be new. This leak will strike a code (Fuel Cap), if it isn't already.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Where exactly is the crack ? Maybe it is in the hose elbow. I would drop the tank and inpsect for yourself. Then you can decide what to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts