Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I can only afford to do one or the other, so I was trying to figure out what would work best for me. My Jeep is my dd but I do wheel fairly often. It is currently sitting on 33s running 3.73 gears. I'm pretty sure 4.56 would be more ideal for my 4.0 5 speed. It also still has the stock 30x9.50 tire as the spare. Could that tire get me home if I put it on the front axle as a spare? Weighing my options, the correct gearing would improve performance and put less wear and tear on the Jeep. But, the tire carrier would allow me to have a 33" spare, a place for my high-lift to mount, and a spot for my jerry cans. Which one would you recommend to do first?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Go for the gears.... you will be much happier in the long run.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Yep, do the gears and don't let anyone talk you into any gear ratio but 4.56. So long as your rear axle doesn't have a limited slip differential, you can drive home on that smaller spare tire. Not to mention you don't really need to carry a Hi-Lift, and it's especially not needed to change 33" tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. The rear axle does have limited slip, but if I move the spare to the front I should be okay right?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do the gears!! and keep your eyes open for a cheap tire carrier once and I fit a 33" spare no problem on stock mounts.. And they sell a 50$ hood mount for a high lift that looks cool, and u can get a Jerry can holder that mounts to the stock tire holder, performance before looks..

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You would be ok running a different size spare on the rear if you have to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts