Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out tonight driving to the store and I realized how awful my vision is getting outside because of my dimming headlights. They're the stock ones that my 04 TJ came with, and they're starting to run pretty weak. I run with fog lights on most of the time, and the road's still lookin pretty dark.

I'd like to order some new replacements and do it myself to be honest, I don't have the funds right now to be paying out for an hour of overpriced maintenance somewhere.

I did some searching around the forums and on google, and lots of people seem to have knowledge or chosen paths on bulbs but I'm looking for something that's going to be a simple install with minimal tools.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm currently rebuilding my jeep from hitting a deer.

I'm Finding the only tools you need to remove most anything on the jeep are

: Set of torx heads for your screwdriver
: Set of torx rachet sockets for the bumper and larger bolts
: T50 security torx for the bar above the door (to let the windshield down)
: and 1/2" , 13mm, and a few other standard that would come with a basic socket set

On your headlight question,........go to your local auto parts store and get like the slivania silver star......15bks a pop. Nothing fancy but works better than originals by far. Then use that set of torx heads for your screwdriver (not sure which size) but its like 6 little screws around the housing and headlight.......headlight pops out, unplug.....reverse steps with new light..done.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
You may be driving the wrong vehicle if you cannot change a headlight and have to pay someone for everything.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm currently rebuilding my jeep from hitting a deer.

I'm Finding the only tools you need to remove most anything on the jeep are

: Set of torx heads for your screwdriver
: Set of torx rachet sockets for the bumper and larger bolts
: T50 security torx for the bar above the door (to let the windshield down)
: and 1/2" , 13mm, and a few other standard that would come with a basic socket set

........ Then use that set of torx heads for your screwdriver (not sure which size) but its like 6 little screws around the housing and headlight.......headlight pops out, unplug.....reverse steps with new light..done.

If the '04 is like the '99, you'll need a T15 torx driver - not a socket, you'll need a long screwdriver-looking one to get the 4 screws holding the headlight retainer ring. Trust me on this, I had mine out last week.
And there's 3 Torx screws holding the headlight bezel, also T15.

You may be driving the wrong vehicle if you cannot change a headlight and have to pay someone for everything.
That's just cold man. There are a huge number of reasons why someone might not be willing or able to work on their own vehicle.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
If the '04 is like the '99, you'll need a T15 torx driver - not a socket, you'll need a long screwdriver-looking one to get the 4 screws holding the headlight retainer ring. Trust me on this, I had mine out last week.
And there's 3 Torx screws holding the headlight bezel, also T15.

That's just cold man. There are a huge number of reasons why someone might not be willing or able to work on their own vehicle.
OK, get your self a discount card for a liquor store and make friends with a good neighborhood mechanic. I do a lot of free work on friends and neighbors vehicles for free beer. But then there's the kids cars that get free maintenance and no beer.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
OK, she can stop by my house and I will change it out for her.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you are driving a wrangler I would assuming that you should be able to do your own maintenance, except you are a woman with long finger nails. There are nothing you can not do if you put your mind into it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:rofl:

Hmm, not quite. Let's try something more along the lines of someone who has little mechanical knowledge. I take each project and use it as a learning experience, I spent my years playing with technology instead of the old beater out front. Guess your parents had different ideals than mine.

With that being said, I see after finding a few videos that it's a pretty simple swap. I like the idea of the HID lights, they sure seem to look quite different in the sample videos. Anyone have experience with these?

Jeep HID Conversion : Skinny Pedal Products!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Like the other guys said. If you are totally disable, I can also do it for you for free.

Wait, you gotta show me your DP licence plate.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
:rofl:

Hmm, not quite. Let's try something more along the lines of someone who has little mechanical knowledge. I take each project and use it as a learning experience, I spent my years playing with technology instead of the old beater out front. Guess your parents had different ideals than mine.
Poor excuse...in highschool, I could barely check my own oil (until my grandpa taught me how to change it). I was focused more on school (I got grounded for C's or worse) and I was in a program for people intending to go into the IT field in college/work. Taught myself how to hand code websites at the age of 10 and was competing at state level competitions in Visual Basic Programming...but I couldn't do diddly squat on my vehicle if my life depended on it. lol

Either way...I'm not insulting you. I learned everything I know from online forums and Haynes/factory service manuals. Keep reading and start learning how to do it yourself. You'd be amazed at how easy a lot of stuff is once you start working on it. There's still a lot of stuff I can explain and am not comfortable doing (transmission/deep internal engine work for instance), but I usually end up teaching my dad and grandpa a thing or two about vehicles every now and then...and they used to be the people I thought knew it all when I was younger. :D

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Poor excuse...in highschool, I could barely check my own oil (until my grandpa taught me how to change it). I was focused more on school (I got grounded for C's or worse) and I was in a program for people intending to go into the IT field in college/work. Taught myself how to hand code websites at the age of 10 and was competing at state level competitions in Visual Basic Programming...but I couldn't do diddly squat on my vehicle if my life depended on it. lol

Either way...I'm not insulting you. I learned everything I know from online forums and Haynes/factory service manuals. Keep reading and start learning how to do it yourself. You'd be amazed at how easy a lot of stuff is once you start working on it. There's still a lot of stuff I can explain and am not comfortable doing (transmission/deep internal engine work for instance), but I usually end up teaching my dad and grandpa a thing or two about vehicles every now and then...and they used to be the people I thought knew it all when I was younger. :D
When I was in HS we didn't even have calculators. Everything was longhand.

And YES we walked uphill bothways!!!!!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I believe you have been flamed on this one. Anyway, changing the headlight is really quite simple and if you have the correct tools you should have no problem. The tools are always the tricky part for a lot of people since not everyone has the torx style, etc. As far as headlights go, I usually go with a good quality bulb and nothing special or super expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts