Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading wheels and tires from stock. Do most people pull the TPMS out of the stock wheel and reuse or buy new ones? Or do you just delete it and live without it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Really depends on how old they are. They start to get unreliable with age. I would plan on a new set with new tires.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Delete and get a Procal. Worst nanny device ever for an off road vehicle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive read that the frequency changes sometimes from year to year. Not every year, but it it changed recently. I got some new ('13) rubicon take offs that did not come with TPMS. When getting them put on my '11 JKU they switched over the old sensors to the new tires and everything worked great. They said it was a pain in the ass, but they got em moved over. I think the new '13 sensors would not have worked with my '11 jeep. But, I'm not sure, I think the dealership can reprogram your car to be compatible with different or new sensors, or just turn it off.

I could not give a crap about tire sensors, I just didn't want the little light flashing at me all the time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ive read that the frequency changes sometimes from year to year. Not every year, but it it changed recently. I got some new ('13) rubicon take offs that did not come with TPMS. When getting them put on my '11 JKU they switched over the old sensors to the new tires and everything worked great. They said it was a pain in the ass, but they got em moved over. I think the new '13 sensors would not have worked with my '11 jeep. But, I'm not sure, I think the dealership can reprogram your car to be compatible with different or new sensors, or just turn it off.

I could not give a crap about tire sensors, I just didn't want the little light flashing at me all the time.
13 and 14 are the same frequency. 12 and earlier are different. Dealership can not reprogram for the wrong sensors.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Personally, I like the tpms feature. There's absolutely no need to replace the entire unit unless they are malfunctioning. Just replace the stems for about 5 bucks each.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just put regular valve stems in mine- the dash light stays on all the time- lets me know the bulb is still good... ;), but yeah its an unnecessary nanny device...but if you like it..

·
Registered
208 Posts
On my 2012 I kept the jeep ones and put them in my new wheels/tires. Procal is still a good addition to lower the psi that they trigger the warning light at. Everything working great so far about 18 months after the switch.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I didn't bother with them. Got a Procal and turned the TPMS system off - I just check my pressure manually once in a while.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see a set of 4 for $60 on Ebay.. Anyone ever try these?

Guess I am ok with deleting it altogether. I think I will be able to tell on my own if I have a flat.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Agreed. I plan to do the same when I get my JK.

TPMS was designed for soccer moms who don't know how to check tire pressure.

For an offroader who wants to play with various pressure settings they're a PIA.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tried moving mine over to the new wheels from the stock wheels. I have a 2011 Jeep.
After the first one fell apart trying to remove it from the stock wheel, I figured it was a lost cause.
Flashcal turned off the annoying light, and i already know to check pressure periodically.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
TPMS was designed for soccer moms who don't know how to check tire pressure.
That's not entirely true, they caught a tire on my wife's car when she was on her way to work and picked up a small piece of razor blade. Luckily it caught it before it got flat enough to cause a handling problem or blowout. BTW, I had checked them less than 24 hours before while changing the oil and rotating the tires. I like it and will keep it in my JK, in fact I did when I got new wheels and tires.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
No Kidding :thumb:

I had my TPMS's moved to my new wheels from my Rubicon take offs. I should have left them in the take offs and got a few more bucks.

If you air down, they have no use.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the ones on Ebay work for $60-$80 a set I would put them in the new wheels. I spend 90% of the time highway driving and I do belive it can help catch a problem early like a screw or something in the tire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts