Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of miles on my 97 TJ and I regularly grease the front end, drive shaft, changed the rear axle, and transfer oil.

My question is how often if ever and how do you re-pack the front wheel bearings?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Cons_Table said:
Never...They are sealed and cannot be repacked. If wheel bearings need replaced you need to replace the whole unit bearing hub.
X2

And its not that hard to do, if you have the tools and parts you can get it done in about 2-3hrs.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
first time... give yourself a few hours.. once you know how to do it 30 mins is right on. also a good time to change out your u-joints...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Imped said:
2-3 hours? He should be able to have the old unit bearings out in less than 30 minutes.
Accounting for the time for stuck/broken bolts and taking your time since you havent done it before

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
And that brings me to a good tip....if you encounter rusty bolts, seized bearings, etc. Sand it all down and make it clean.....bolts, mating surface for the unit bearing, bolt bosses, etc. Apply a VERY thin layer of waterproof grease to the bolt boss threads and the knuckle mating surface for the unit bearing. Next time you should be able to thread the bolts out by hand and the bearing will fall out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just changed mine out at 157k. Original as far as I know. My first time, it took me an hour to do, considering I forgot the brake dust cover. :banghead: so essentially I did it twice in that amount of time, but the second time around I just slid the whole axle out and threaded it through the cover, also gave me a chance to clean the mud out of my axle tube. now I see why people buy axle end seals! Little tip, if the old bearing is stuck in the hub like mine was, you can use a stout bolt, or in my case a socket extension, and place it on the stub shaft side yoke, and the other side on the end of the axle tube. Turn the wheel to essentially push it out. alternate sides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts