Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the tittle says and the photos show the hinges on my tailgate seem to have a rust like residue on them. The one spot I wiped clean with my finger, as seen in the photos.

They seem to be fine under this residue, how would I go about cleaning this? Thoughts? I’m planing on greasing with fluid film after because it will lubricate and help prevent further rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 JK
369 Posts
Yes, they do. I had to replace the hinges on my JK, and my previous JKU had the hinges and pin rust.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,157 Posts
Its the pins. Replace with something like this:

or

or

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
On my 2014 JK I did the Teraflex Alpha gate kit and it is terrific. My son-in-law owns that Jeep now and it is still doing great. I agree with the comments above that it appears to be the pins.

·
Registered
352 Posts
like the tittle says and the photos show the hinges on my tailgate seem to have a rust like residue on them. The one spot I wiped clean with my finger, as seen in the photos.

They seem to be fine under this residue, how would I go about cleaning this? Thoughts? I’m planing on greasing with fluid film after because it will lubricate and help prevent further rust.
On picture 02a3d143-032d-4249-be5f-7745030fed04-png, the rust around the hinge pin at the top is visible.

You have to soak the entire area with Fluid Film.

All the hinges are prone to rust.

Unfortunately you have to choose to either keep them dry and rusty or oily, dirty but rust free.

:)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
IMO, don't use a product that stays 'wet' and creeps like Fluid Film in an area like this - it will just make a mess. I would use Boeshield or Transtar 4423 Amber Rustproofing, which both dry to a wax-like film. I like the Transtar because it is a little heavier and dries quicker, but it is a darker amber color compared to the very pale straw-like color of the Boeshield and it is a little more tacky than Boeshield when dry . I regularly drizzle Boeshield around all my hinges (including the fasteners and between the body & hinge) and it seems to be doing a good job. The Boeshield is thinner and takes a bit of time to dry, so it has a chance to creep into the pin area as well as any gaps. When done & dry, I use a bit of mineral spirits to clean off any excess.

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Registered
75 Posts
Both my rear gate pins and hinges rusted and both of my door pins and hinges rusted (2010 JK 2DR).

I replaced the rear hinges with aftermarket MOR/ryde hinges and they've been great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts