Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was all set on picking up my dream vehic fully loaded rubicon unlim but after hearing these head issue ive put a hold and am wondering if the newer built 2013, are issue free? waw it just a run of engines built that are effected and chances are a newer built wouldnt have one in it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
so far, no 2013s have confirmed head issues. even in 2012s it's relatively rare. and even then, they are replaced without issue. 2013s built september onwards should have the latest revision head.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i think that's the water pump bearing issue.

·
Registered
157 Posts
many of us had no issues or signs of the bad head until the cel light came on one day. i thought i dodged the bullet on my 2012 until at 16k the light came on out of no where.

i think its just a matter of time before the flaw gets most of us its just a matter of time.
this is a design flaw and yes im calling it a design flaw because a defect in manufacturing wouldnt be on the 3rd generation.

one thing about a design flaw is the odds are if it happened to as many as it did the problem isnt going away for the others it hasnt happened to , its just it hasnt happened yet.

·
Registered
848 Posts
many of us had no issues or signs of the bad head until the cel light came on one day. i thought i dodged the bullet on my 2012 until at 16k the light came on out of no where.

i think its just a matter of time before the flaw gets most of us its just a matter of time.
this is a design flaw and yes im calling it a design flaw because a defect in manufacturing wouldnt be on the 3rd generation.

one thing about a design flaw is the odds are if it happened to as many as it did the problem isnt going away for the others it hasnt happened to , its just it hasnt happened yet.
:thumb: Logic is wonderful isn't it. Apparently some on here don't have much of it. The head was redesigned hence a manufacturing or design flaw. Many if not most of us will succumb to the issue for that reason. The only question is will it be in or out of warranty and what will Chrysler do for those who are out of warranty if/when that happens.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Do you have proof of this? I have not seen anywhere that the 2nd redesign head has failed. I've only seen one post here that stated they had the head replaced twice and there was no confirmation that the 2nd head was the 2nd redesign. If you have confirmation that the 2nd redesigned head has failed please post proof of this.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Do you have proof of this? I have not seen anywhere that the 2nd redesign head has failed. I've only seen one post here that stated they had the head replaced twice and there was no confirmation that the 2nd head was the 2nd redesign. If you have confirmation that the 2nd redesigned head has failed please post proof of this.
Several have had the AB heads fail on them. Both here and other forums.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When did they start using the AC head? So when i'm shopping for a vehicle on the lot i know what date for a build date to look for. Or are you guys saying all the 2013s will have this issue too if its a build design if so i`ll just get a truck.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Blastek said:
i think that's the water pump bearing issue.
Yup (mine went away after a new water pump)

OR:

The throw out bearing issue in the clutch (they pulled my transmission to fix this)

·
Registered
503 Posts
The proof might be that there's a third head design. If the AB fixed it and wasn't having problems why make the AC?
the post I questioned was that there was a problem with the 2nd redesign. as far as i know nobody has had the problem reoccur with the ac head

·
Registered
62 Posts
If the problem was fixed don't you think Chrysler would be saying somthing to that effect? They were quick enough to blame bad gas and driving habits. Nothing but silence from the Fiat headquarters.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it going out of warranty if you hit 100k miles and then have the head problem after that, you got your moneys worth. Yes the Jeep will last well over 100k miles but after that point I don't think anyone has a right to complain about car problems. And given you probably don't have car payments anymore any fixes should be well within budget.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it going out of warranty if you hit 100k miles and then have the head problem after that, you got your moneys worth. Yes the Jeep will last well over 100k miles but after that point I don't think anyone has a right to complain about car problems. And given you probably don't have car payments anymore any fixes should be well within budget.
I disagree. Fixes because of faulty design are different than normal wear and tear. Ever had to replace a head in a car that was maintained with 100k miles on it? I haven't. In fact, I've never had to have any major repair work done on a car with that low of mileage.

I've only had to do preventative maintenance and replace wear parts like the clutch.
Hell, even my track and autocross cars have lasted longer than that without major problems.
In my opinion the problem isn't being able to afford it, the problem is you shouldn't have to worry about it in the first place.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The AB head was only around for a few months before it got replaced so it was obviously a POS. The AC head hasn't been around long enough to make any determination about whether or not it's OK or not. It took several months and several thousand miles before this problem hit the 12s. At this point I don't think there's enough info to say the AC is good to go or not. If there haven't been any problem by spring I think we can start to feel pretty good about it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts