Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the rear seat headrest remove, they stickup and are hard to see around.

trainman

·
Registered
101 Posts
I read a few posts about popping off a little spring tucked back in there, but I couldn't do it easily. So, I bought two black rubber bungees and just bungeed them back for better viewing. Huge difference in sight. And with passengers in the rear, I just unbungee. Looks clean enough too. I don't have pics here available but I posted some in the huge DIY thread or the What did you do today thread...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took mine out, and prefer it for backing up. If I am travelling with rear passengers, it takes about two seconds to put them back in.

·
Registered
546 Posts
On the 2 door, they're easy to remove. Nothing to it. You will have a better visibility in your rear view mirror.
On my 2 door, I had quite a struggle getting the rear-seat headrests removed. It has been over a year now and I don't remember the trick - seems like it was a hidden button you had to push through the cloth of the seat back near the headrests, or something like that.

Anyway, I never have passengers back there, and removing the rear headrests really helped rear-view mirror visibility.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There is a button on each side. One side is recessed or flush (can't remember which), so it's easy to miss.

If you're talking about a 4 door, the spring trick works great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the same problem with seeing out the back, I was disappointed to find out that you can remove the head rests but not the two mounting rods. So I just put them back on.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Just push the little button and the head rests including the rods come right off, very easily. Since I'm the only one in my JK 95% of the time, I only put them in when I have people in the back seat.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I had the same problem with seeing out the back, I was disappointed to find out that you can remove the head rests but not the two mounting rods. So I just put them back on.
On the 2 door, the headrests and rods just pop off.

On the 4 door, there is a spring that you can reach in the little gap below the headrest and pull that spring off it's mount. The spring basically pulls the headrests back into the upright position after you've had your seats down. Without the spring, the headrests can stay folded back. You lose a tiny bit of cargo area doing this, but you gain a ton of visibility.

And if you do have passengers back there, you can just flip the headrests back up. They still lock into place. To lower them again, you have to fold the seats at least part way down to disengage the lock.

It literally takes about 1 minute per side to pull the springs off.

Getting them back on would a major pain, though.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yep, it's a great mod. And it's free!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup! That's the first thing I took off my two door. Rear view visibility 100% better! :bop:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I never noticed any rear visibility issues with the headrests.
Especially with a bigass spare tire and that rear window wiper module.
The headrests are the least of my problems. lol

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
One of the the first things I did when I got my JK home was to pull the rear head rests. I hate having anything blocking my vision.

About a week after that, I removed the whole rear seat. I have a 4dr car if I need to carry passengers. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts