Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple comments as a newbie. I currently have a 01 totally original (unmolested) sport. It does not have the 44's. Otherwise it has been great. It has seen almost no offroad use. However, my situation has changed. I plan to start using it on my ranch including pulling a rotowiper in a swampy area to kill weeds. The rotowiper is about 12' wide and weighs about 400 lbs. therefore the load is minimal. I was thinking about a used rubicon mainly for the axles. Until today I was even considering a new rubicon. On the JK forum it talks about everything being computerized. While electronics can certainly do wonderfull things I have to ask myself do I really need all of that wonderfull stuff. Being held hostage by the dealer and raped at their choosing after the warranty is out would be no fun!
Scotty had a saying "THE MORE THEY OVERTAKE THE SEWER THE EASIER IT IS TO CLOG THE DRAIN" Jeep can keep their electronic crap, look in consumers report at the poor reliability of Mercedes products due to their failed wizardry. I think I will keep my 01 sport or possibly look for a pristine older and proven technology rubicon. I am not convinced I need the 44"s.
Remember KISS keep it simple....
Your comments and advice is appreciated.
Great forum

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
I agree totally. One of the main reason I got a jeep was the fact they are simple to work on and didn't have all that fancy stuff. That's just more stuff to go wrong in my book.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
The very reasons I went square with the YJ. The TJ adds more electronics and plastics. The JK is just over the top. Should be fun to watch the boards as a few of them begin to see a trail or two.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
your dana 30/35 should be fine for what you are doing.:D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
...While electronics can certainly do wonderfull things I have to ask myself do I really need all of that wonderfull stuff. Being held hostage by the dealer and raped at their choosing after the warranty is out would be no fun!
Scotty had a saying "THE MORE THEY OVERTAKE THE SEWER THE EASIER IT IS TO CLOG THE DRAIN" Jeep can keep their electronic crap, look in consumers report at the poor reliability of Mercedes products due to their failed wizardry. I think I will keep my 01 sport or possibly look for a pristine older and proven technology rubicon. I am not convinced I need the 44"s.
Remember KISS keep it simple....
Ok, I had this whole long response typed out, that had a bunch of points in it, that were very eloquent and such, but I've been drinking a bit today and I hit back by mistake and totally lost it. Couldn't get it back. So here is the super short version, as I am a dumb a$$.

1. Your axles = ok for that.
2. i like simple too.
3. but, that new technology like ESP has reduced single vehicle accidents by 40%. (insert me being a salesman joke.)
4. People just don't keep their cars as long anymore, so it being out of warranty isn't really a problem for most people.(Except us, which usually keep them for life, or like 20 years, whichever comes first.)

Trust me this was much better earlier. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
kinda going on what binaryking has said. I have my 05 TJ right now as my DD. I don't want to put huge tires on it and such for now because I need to keep it good for the road. however, I have every intention when I'm a little older (still in grad school right now) and have a real job making real money to put my TJ "away" as my DD, get another vehicle (4 door maybe) as my drive around vehicle that does have all the bells and whistles and electronics, and keep my "simpler" TJ to "fix up" i.e. lift/axel/tires/etc. for a fun trail rig. if I bash it up now, I'm stuck without a vehicle to drive around, if I bash it up later, well, I just gotta get it home... at least that's the hope. (although it'd be fun to get an old willys jeep or old CJ though).

·
Registered
106 Posts
As a JK owner I would also agree. The simpler the better. With my JK im using it for a DD. I am building it up somewhat for offroad use but not going too crazy. For that I am still waiting to hear back from an old family friend about a CJ that I hope I will be purchasing really soon (in all honesty I expected to have it by now). But whatever you decide good luck.

·
Wrecktrician
7,349 Posts
Hey, if I had the money I'd definitely go for a JK........(here's the big but) BUT, after purchasing my TJ I was completely blown away at how much work that I could do myself.
I've owned 5 different trucks and 3 different cars since 1992. I could not afford to modify my trucks because with the dawn if IFS systems lift kit prices went through the roof and the computers made performance mods go the same direction. Before my 92 ford I had a 1984 4WD Toyota LWB pick-up, that was the last vehicle I modded. My wife didn't want her cars modded because they were family cars.
So, the simplicity of the TJ works for me now & its actually cheap work on by comparison. By the time I might want to buy a JK all of the issues will be ironed out and posted on this forum.

Rob

·
Registered
303 Posts
I sort of agree with the O.P. about technology however on the other hand...advancement is what made you older engines bulletproof. Without the technology we would still be riding horses and not having this on-line discussion I know sort of out there with those analogies.

My issue with technology is this...it is "suppose" to make your life simple and give you more tiime to do things you want to do. So I ask do you have more free time now or 10-15 years ago? Me it was 10-15 years ago.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have owned both, and im just wondering how much more electronics does the jk really have over the tj. i dont see much more, as far as everyday driving i like my jk alot more. but to me it still everything i want a jeep to be, just better.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I think it's interesting to read about how all this new tech works on the jk but it makes it alot harder to work on this jeep. One thing that I would of liked to see jeep do was to still offer the 4.0 I6. yes it may be old and not good for mpg or emmisions but I think It will out last the v6 that they took from a mini van:( and stuck it in a jeep.:mad: :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think it's interesting to read about how all this new tech works on the jk but it makes it alot harder to work on this jeep. One thing that I would of liked to see jeep do was to still offer the 4.0 I6. yes it may be old and not good for mpg or emmisions but I think It will out last the v6 that they took from a mini van:( and stuck it in a jeep.:mad: :D
What makes you think a 4.0 will outlast the 3.8?? The 3.8 is a very tried and proven engine. The bottom end has been around since 96, and in 98 they did some gasket revisions and head flow redesigns. There are many 3.8's out there with well over 150K (conservative) on them. From a tech standpoint, they are easier to work on than a 4.0, have a better oiling system, and more main bearing support. So as long as they dont get overheated, they should live well into 150K. I know, there are 4.0's out there that have over 300k on them, but lets be realistic here, they are few and far in-between. The mini van reference is even better to brag about when you can tell your 4.0 Havin buddy about your 19+ mpg and then ask him if was wide open when you guys left that light, 'cause your "mini-van" engine just SMOKED his 4.0:rofl:

Joe

·
Registered
72 Posts
technology is just evolution of vehicles, it does make life easier when it works correctly. a fuel injected engine is alot easier to tune the a carberated and points engine you just need the correct tools and the knowledge to use them. my freightliner has 4 computers on it enough wires to go across delaware and its good for a million miles. the 4.0 is an old amc engine but the keyword is old.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'm not saying the 3.8 is bad I just like the 4.0 better.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Didn't 4.0 have more torque on the low end?

I had a 1995 Cherokee with the 4.0. Ran great. My Wife was in 2 accidents and the most damage was a bent rear bumper. Totaled the Honda that hit her. Anyway I never had a problem with the 4.0 up till 80,000 when I gave it to my Daughter. I think she didn't maintain it like I did and she sold it with 140,000 plus on it. She could have fixed it up but it would have probably cost her more than the vehicles worth.

BTW the 3.8 and the 4.0 sound the same when accelerating from a stop...well to me they do.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Didn't 4.0 have more torque on the low end?

BTW the 3.8 and the 4.0 sound the same when accelerating from a stop...well to me they do.

Yes. The 4.0 has more torque down low. This becomes transparent with an auto transmission, but is a valid issue with the 6-speed in the JK. However, as we all know, it can be overcome with axle gearing.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Comparing the torque on the V6 and the I6 is like apples to oranges. The V6 actually redlines at a higher RPM and produces more torque and horsepower than the I6. But, it's at a higher RPM because it's a V6 engine and not a straight 6.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
hm, love the 1st post and then nothing from him/her...LOL

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes. The 4.0 has more torque down low. This becomes transparent with an auto transmission, but is a valid issue with the 6-speed in the JK. However, as we all know, it can be overcome with axle gearing.
BTW how tough/easy is it to change differential gears? I have never done that.

Since we are speaking of technology...Nascar uses a quick change differential, actually mant racecars use that. Why isn't that technology transferred to the real world? In motorcycles technology catches up in the real world about 2 or 3 years later.

·
Registered
339 Posts
BTW how tough/easy is it to change differential gears? I have never done that.

Since we are speaking of technology...Nascar uses a quick change differential, actually mant racecars use that. Why isn't that technology transferred to the real world? In motorcycles technology catches up in the real world about 2 or 3 years later.

Actually they DID. It was called a Halibrand Quick Change. It was very prevalent in the 50's and 60's. In a quick responce, they did not hold up that well. In NASCAR, I am sure that they are rebuilt after every race. But honestly, I dont know why they dont use them, other than cost. To answer your question about installing gears, It a tedious, exacting job thats VERY expensive if you mess up.....:) I do an average of 3 jeeps a WEEK. I love doing gears.....:)

Joe

1 - 20 of 42 Posts