Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking around for a new jeep. It seems like the dealerships (in my are) are offering blue book trade in value. It seems like such a waste to have a couple nice mods and not get paid for it. I am just seeing what your experiences are. Thanks

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
yes

anything you might want on yer next Jeep...KEEP IT.

you are right. On a trade in most dealerships could care less about added value. They will just wholesale it. I bought my '05 TJR in 2011 for $13,800. From a Subaru Dealer who took it on trade the day before.

Matter of fact.... a box stock Wrangler indicates it has maybe never been off road. Add a winch, a lift, and a farmer jack says some redneck has abused the shit out of this Jeep.....

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's like this we do what we like to our JEEPS....
Then we sale them what the new owner knows about them is sipp..
If they know what they are looking at you may and i say MAY make some of the cash back? BUT from my walk in life it is like a boat...

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
How about my tires and rims and put factory ones back?
I had new Goodyear's on my 2008 when I traded it and the dealer put them on the 2014. Didn't even blink. I will do the same with wheels and tires if/when I trade the 2014.

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Best is to trade in a vehicle as close to factory spec as possible.

Shoppers are familiar to some extent with factory specs, but no one knows anything about this custom lift or a that aftermarket supercharger: was it done properly, is it a safety hazard, will it void the warranty, will it affect the stability control, will it catch on fire, will it pass smog test, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Sell it yourself, dont trade it in. There are plenty of people that prefer to buy from an individual over a dealership when shopping pre-owned. It may be a little bit more of a pain but you will come out ahead.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I sold mine to a friend as is. But he wanted MY JEEP not some stock TJ.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everybody is saying dealers don't consider mods... That's only half right. They won't give the seller/trader any extra for them, but they will sure as hell try to mark that stuff up for the next buyer!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I actually had a dealer (granted it was a Fiat dealer) tell me that they will not keep a Jeep or pick up that has been lifted. They immediately send 'em off to auction.

He said it was something about not knowing the history of the vehicle, and not knowing if everything was installed properly. He said he's encountered several vehicles that fell into this situation, and as a result they low balled the offer (even more than what was normal) for the trade.

Granted I'm not planning on adding a lift to my JKRHR when I get it, but it's certainly something to consider.

Most of the stuff I'll be adding should be pretty easy to remove (lights etc), so there is a good possibility that I'll remove the big ticket items if I ever sell the vehicle.

just my two cents

Exco

·
Registered
6 Posts
We recently traded in one of our Jeeps with a Teraflex lift kit installed. For the price, it wasn't worth it to us to spend the time/money removing it.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Shoppers are familiar to some extent with factory specs, but no one knows anything about this custom lift or a that aftermarket supercharger: was it done properly, is it a safety hazard, will it void the warranty, will it affect the stability control, will it catch on fire, will it pass smog test, etc.
Yep! As a consumer, I spent a few months looking and immediately passed anything that wasn't nearly stock. I know people who do good work, but I don't know the people that owned the Jeep before me, so my intention was to eliminate those pitfalls.
The dealer I bought my Jeep from, had a heavily modified JK on the lot for a long time, it was lifted and I could see the inter cooler through the grill from street.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Jeeps I have sold myself, I priced them and sold them "as is" which obviously included Mods.

Trades - I keep every nut and bolt and put the stock stuff back on. ALL in a box on a shelf.
Was a PIA last time but took my time. Only thing I left was seat recline - I was tired by then and did not want to wrestle with that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you considered selling privately? You will likely get more money and the added value of the mods will stand out more. Also, you could negotiate which to leave on or remove based on buyer preference. If they're willing to pay an extra 1k because they can't live without your...whatever it is....it can always be replaced

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recently put it on cl. I have had a couple offers, a couple scammers, and a lot of people just want to come drive it. I am just considering all options. Thanks for all the good feedback.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure if there are any local 4x4 specialty shops or jeep clubs in your area but they may be able to find you a potential buyer very quickly. There is always somebody who just swamped their rig that needs a replacement!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts