Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to the number of people that wrap the spool as it comes from the factory, vs just wind it back and forth on the drum. I've always spooled mine (synthetic) but I have a friend that goes back and forth with his synthetic. Says so the line doesn't pull down through lower layers. I tried that for fun and be damned if I couldn't even fit the entire rope on the drum.

How do you do it? Synthetic vs wire? Why?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I use a neat wrap as comes from the factory. I wouldnt do it the way your buddy does. Winch ratings are with one wrap on the drum and as the radius of the winch line coming off the drum increases, your rated pull capacity decreases. I would want the line wrapped nicely around the drum, especially for the first wrap, as the friction on the drum is what is supporting your pull, a goofed up wrap just seems like a good way to have problems.

The caveat to the above is that once i start winching the line gets all spooled up crooked because it never seems to be a perfectly straight pull. The line inevitably gets left like that until i need it again because i get lazy.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
My only experience with winches is using the one on my ATV. It has a steel cable and I do wrap it back and forth so it fills the drum once, then twice etc.

Now as far as wenches go, I have had experience with several and I find none wrapped too tight.........:bop:

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I spent 6 years in the military (Army light vehicle mechanic, 10 Ton and below) and they taught me to be Anal Retentive about a perfectly spooled and lubed steel winch cable. One use where a steel cable is X'ed over itself can kink it and begin breaking the wires. 'Dress Right Dress', even with synthetic now. Just don't have to lube synthetic.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Steel cable requires a strong base to help prevent crushing the wire and strands. Too loose and it will birdcage as the pulled wire squeezes down into the lower wraps. Tension gets relieved in some places and not others then WHAM! It's all jambedb up with flat spots.

Like wire (or any material for that matter) synthetic line requires a base wrap with a load after the forst three or four turns on the bottom layer. Keep the base layer tucked in tight toward it's self as well. Usually this is going to require two or more people to accomplish. The first and subsequent layers should feel hard to the touch. This along with getting the layers next to one another will help to prevent the upper layer from colasping into the lower layer.

A colasped layer under a strain is going to be a bitc... real problem to unspool the next time you want to do maintenance or perform another pull. Under use any winch line is going to spool towards the side of the drum closest to the line of pull. Even the salvage ships I rode had these issues and they had automatic guides (like on a fishing reel) that tried to prevent this.

As long as you maintain a hard layer from spool to the top of the pull stack, you'll be OK come time to repool it after the recovery event.

Weaving your line back and forth like your friend does is going to create a problem because a good strain can pull a layer toward the shoulder during a pull and stack the now loose line, under the tight stuff creating a birdcage effect.

Think of the spooled line as an "upside-down pyramid." The base of a pyramid supports all the entire structure. The spooled line is exactly the same but the top is actually on the spool/bottom.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I spent 6 years in the military (Army light vehicle mechanic, 10 Ton and below) and they taught me to be Anal Retentive about a perfectly spooled and lubed steel winch cable. One use where a steel cable is X'ed over itself can kink it and begin breaking the wires. 'Dress Right Dress', even with synthetic now. Just don't have to lube synthetic.
BUTT we still have to be anal about washing it when it gets dirty.... Thank you for your service! My son was a 63 Bravo Lt Wheeled Vechicles.

Reactions: 87_WhyJay

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When it comes to safety equipment, and that's what a winch is, I don't mess around or take shortcuts. Spooled neatly with tension and I have peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
BUTT we still have to be anal about washing it when it gets dirty.... Thank you for your service! My son was a 63 Bravo Lt Wheeled Vechicles.
OH YES WE DO!! I haven't had occasion to use mine yet, but when used, it will get washed and re-spooled when dry.

Mee Tooo. 63b20 Motor Sgt. when I (my wife) decided we had had enough 'Playing Army' during peace time. Thank you for your THANK YOU!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I do a combination. Wrap neatly under tension and the last few in a criss cross. been doing it that way for a long time and have used my winch more times than I can count.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
When it comes to safety equipment, and that's what a winch is, I don't mess around or take shortcuts. Spooled neatly with tension and I have peace of mind.

That "with tension" is the key part to avoid what your buddy is trying to avoid. To properly wind the rope onto the spool, you need to hook the line to a stationary object and then have your Jeep on an incline with the parking brake on to provide tension when wrapping the rope onto the spool in a neat manner.

I have trouble finding that scenario in my area since I live in a city suburb. I typically go to a Meijers parking lot nearby my house, go to their loading dock area (ie incline cement present), then run the rope to a nearby light poll. It's not ideal since I'm sure if a cop came by browsing through the parking lot, then that's a tough explanation of what I'm doing. So I'ld love to hear methods other's have come up with.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That "with tension" is the key part to avoid what your buddy is trying to avoid. To properly wind the rope onto the spool, you need to hook the line to a stationary object and then have your Jeep on an incline with the parking brake on to provide tension when wrapping the rope onto the spool in a neat manner.

I have trouble finding that scenario in my area since I live in a city suburb. I typically go to a Meijers parking lot nearby my house, go to their loading dock area (ie incline cement present), then run the rope to a nearby light poll. It's not ideal since I'm sure if a cop came by browsing through the parking lot, then that's a tough explanation of what I'm doing. So I'ld love to hear methods other's have come up with.
A lot of people use a friend's vehicle as an anchor. I don't have that resource, so usually I stop by a small construction site of some sort with a box of donuts and a box of coffee from Dunkin Donuts and ask real nice if they'd mind if I connect to something and winch in real quick. Big cement blocks, trees, bulldozers, whatever.

Or you could just call your town's police and tell them what you need to do and ask if they're aware of anywhere you can legally do it nearby. I'm sure they'll appreciate you trying.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a bit OCD as well so the wraps are what I like. I also wrap under tension hooked to a tree (I think a cop around here would frown on a light pole). Man washing the rope is a pain in the ass too. We play in the sand so getting all of those little grains out sucks. Usually hit it with the hose nozzle or very, very light pressure washer. Hand wash in bucket if really bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts