Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son had some 20" wheels on the Jeep when he bought it. He didn't like the look, so he just put on 18" Black Rhino Armory wheels and a Poison Spyder rear bumper and tire carrier (which I like very much!). Also...Nitto Trail Grasshoppers Graplers in 35 x 12.50.

He also has a cheap lift (came with the Jeep) that was probably put on more for looks than function.

Anyway...his new rear bumper sank the rear end about an inch. So that made me wonder....do you guys put the bumpers, winches, slid plates, fenders, etc, BEFORE you lift it to ensure the even height you're looking for?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That's a sharp looking JKU! It's always kinda crap shoot when you start adding things. Do you know if it has a spring lift or just spacers? If it's springs and no spacers yet, you can order a spacer lift to bring it back where it was. The first thing I did with mine was install the Teraflex 2" leveling kit. It is basically two 1" spacers for the front and one 1" spacer for the back. It looked great until I installed aftermarket bumpers and a winch. That caused the front to be lower again and about 1/2" lower in the rear before the metal bumper. I found a set of new JKU springs (I have a 2 door) on Criagslist that were a higher rating than mine. Bought 'em, installed 'em and it brought everything back up. A little higher than before, even.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Favor have the son crawl under the jeep and check what coils are currently installed on your jeep. Once this has been determined.. you can then better assess how one should approach this. Ideally one would do the lift first then make adjustments there after. Typically in your case unless you're actually going higher than 2.5 inch lift.. one could installed spacer from a leveling kit. Love the wheels, just not the size we're willing to contend with.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know he has springs and shocks for the lift when he got it, but not much else. He complained about goofy steering at first...until I told him about the adjustable track bar. It fixed mine and his both. I don't think he has control arms of any type. He did put an HD sway bar on. He had to extend his brake lines. Whoever owned this before him only put the minimum on to get "the look".

He's working on making it right, little by little. I'll ask him about putting a spacer in the back to level things out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts