Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I used to run royal purple in my as Camaro and I would go 5k between changes even though my mechanic said I could go 7-10k. I don't use it now cause I came afford it anymore. $75 an oil change when you only work part time is a little too steep!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used Mobil 1 synthetic. I get it at costco when it is on their coupon sale, about 4 bucks a quart plus a $5.00 dollar filter and do it myself, 31.00-35.00 at the most. And I go 5K between changes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I swear by synthetic. It would be hard to pass on the Mobile 1 deal Mr A mentioned but I run Royal Purple. 5-10k miles between changes depending on the time between changes and conditions you drive in. Once you go synthetic though, I'd recommend you not switch back to conventional oils.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just did my 1st fill of synthetic today at 3000 kms (1800 miles) My 3rd change already! I did dino oil changes at 300 miles and 600 miles and now synthetic. This oil will stay in there until the odometer reads about 7500 miles with a filterchange at the 1/2 way point. I used Pennzoil Platinum.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Search "oil" and you will find posts some of which are interesting and enlightening. Try to get past the 3000 mile syndrome but do pay attention to the comments about Chrysler spec 6395. M1 doesn't meet the spec, not because it is a bad product , but because it hasn't been certified by Chrysler. Mobil has not performed the required time tests.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your Jeep appears to be a 2012 so you need 5w-30 and I think you OCI is one year or 8000 miles whichever comes first. In 13 that went to 10000 or one year using 5w-20. I plan to make the first oil change at 3000( it's free from the dealer) and 5000 after that I will switch to full syn probably Pennzoil Ultra which I will run until the oil change indicator tells me to change or 10000 miles. Most people on this forum will change much more often and use Dino oil. They typically change every 3000 to 5000 miles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've never put anything but Dino oil in anything I've owned, and was taught at a young age to change oil every 3,000 miles. I've never had any kind of engine failure.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I did my first change at 1000, went with Valvoline synthetic blend. I'll change again at 4000 with Valvoline blend again. Then at 7500 I'll go full synthetic and change every 5000. I'm a fan of Valvoline products.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am running Pennzoil Ultra. Check out the spec sheets on it it's right up there with Amsoil and a lot cheaper. I am running Amsoil severe gear in the rears though.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yep. And regardless of what new stuff comes out I've always stuck to 3000 mile changes. Both of us are mechanics and dirty oil is just a pet peeve. Is it necessary? Nope! But I've never had any kind of issues with any engine in any vehicle I've owned so I will continue doing things my way.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Boy you opened a can of worms asking that question, you are going to get a different answer from just about everyone. This is going to end up being a personal preference. In older previous vehicles I used to use just standard Valvoline and change every 3000 miles religiously. As cars get more High Tech, several of our cars actually have some sort of Viscosity sensor which actually lights an idiot light that tells us when to change oil. Typically between 8,000 and 10,000 miles. Personally we use Mobil 1 and change oil as the owners manual indicates. The old ritual of changing oil every 3,000 miles is a waste of money these days, oil too has made huge advancements in quality and changing oil that frequently is only adding to the Billions of dollars of profit that the oil companies are already making. Good Luck in making your decision!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Agree from past discussions with the "can of worms". That is why I tried to answer the question that was asked while leaving the option for all other beliefs. Jdpatt12 wanted to know how often those of us that use syn change oil. Once you venture an inch outside that the door is wide open. Syn is made for the longer OCI of modern vehicles.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sure. Synthetic only !!
Not "blend". Not "semi". Just pure synthetic.
If you want the best - go with Amsoil.
You want the second best ? Go with Mobil 1.
Don't believe me ?
Roll up your sleeves, do research on the Internet, look at the INDEPENDENT test results, and you will find out that :
# 1 is Amsoil
# 2 is Mobil 1

1 - 20 of 67 Posts