Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting a 2.5 BB and new rancho shocks 9000xl on my 2005. The bolts for the shocks dont look that bad but wondering if I should put all new hardware in. Stealer figured it would be about 25.00 for all of the bolts. I am thinking that really the only ones that would be hard to deal with in the future are the 4 upper bolts in the rear. Is it really even necessary? I wonder what they would do if I had the dealer change my shocks?

·
Registered
789 Posts
If the bolts look good, I'd run em and not even give it a second thought. It's not like shock bolts are a high stress item.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
If they aren't corroded, especially the upper bolts, re-use them. For the upper bolts however, I would add a little antiseize to their threads as those particular bolts are known to seize if left in long enough. I put antiseize on a lot of the bolt threads (especially on the tie rod end threads!!) under my TJ to prevent problems in the future.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I used all the same bolts when I replaced mine. As mentioned above, if they are not corroded or messed up, go ahead and reuse them. A good used bolt is just as good as a new one.

The dealer would probably clean off the old ones and charge you for new ones.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I reused the old bolts, just wire brush the threads and use anti-seize when you put them back in, you'll thank yourself next time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts