Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Found some parts I'll be needing and ended up coming into a freebie!

I'm helping a fellow Jeeper rebuild and install an XJ D30HP into their rig b/c he can't find any locally, so I picked up a '96 axle for a reasonable price. I also stopped in because the guy has a bunch of ZJ V8 parts that I wanted to check out. I mentioned that I was putting a 5.9L into my YJ and we got to talking some more. After telling him I was up in the air about what transmission to use, he said that if I needed a core that I could stop by at any time to get one. I asked if he had one on hand and he did...

2018-07-14 Jeep YJ (2).jpg

Apparently I was doing him a favor since he wouldn't have to drag it to the scrap yard. The stipulation was that I had to take the NP249 attached to it. As usual, before taking anything home I head on over to the car wash and give everything a quick spray down...

2018-07-14 Jeep YJ (5).jpg

It's a Jeep-style 46RH transmission from a 1994 ZJ Grand Cherokee. Supposedly the forward gears are gone but reverse works well. I'm still leaning towards the AX-15 but it's nice to have a core handy. For those curious, the general difference between the Jeep and Dodge transmissions is the location of the starter - Jeeps are usually passenger side and Dodge's are driver side.

2018-07-14 Jeep YJ (1).jpg

The big score for me was the intake and fuel system - I gave the guy $40 and he let me pull anything I wanted off the ZJ motor. Aside from the intake, I also grabbed a distributor (which is allegedly shorter than the Ram version but after getting home appears to be the same), dipstick, accessory bracket (allegedly shorter length than the pickup), and power steering pump (supposed to have less interference than the Ram Pump with the Jeep steering shaft). I also grabbed the EGR tube as this was different than the Ram tube and should work well with a set of ZJ Smog-friendly headers.

2018-07-14 Jeep YJ (3).jpg

You can see here why I needed the ZJ fuel system - the Jeep's use a 2-line return-style fuel system with external regulator. The Ram engine uses a single-line, returnless system. Since I want to keep my fuel system OEM Jeep YJ stuff, this will be perfect and I believe the fuel hoses will clip onto the factory Jeep hard lines...

2018-07-14 Jeep YJ (4).jpg

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nice score.
Have you started any wiring yet?
Not yet, my plan is to get an extra YJ engine harness and use that as my donor. This would let me strip out everything not needed from the firewall outward and I can start matching pairs as needed. How I've done it in the past was to identify and match all the circuits using zip ties and markers, then route the wiring to fit. The wires can be pulled through the zip ties relatively easily (but not so easy that they fall out by themselves) and once they're layed out and happy, I cut/solder/wrap in place. I may even try to find some replacement pins for the harnesses, this way I can simply crimp and repin.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
46RH vs 46RE vs AX15

Been doing some research and took some measurements to begin picturing the engine and drivetrain in place. I'm still figuring out if I want to go automatic or not, but a few friends have suggested doing so since it will be easier to "add tons and 40's and turn it into a buggy"... they're bad influences!

The 46RH (basically a 727 with an OD unit bolted onto the backside) comes in at a fairly long 31-1/4" in 4x4 form. The AX-15 on the other hand is only 24" (from bellhousing to rear flange) - so around ~7" shorter.

The 5.2/5.9L is 27-1/4" long from bellhousing flange to front of crank pulley. Add in about 3-3/4" for fan length and the overall engine length is 31". This is approximately 3" shorter than a dressed 4.0L.

What does this mean? Well, I can scoot the engine forward a bit (~3") to put the fan exactly where the fan is now, which would bring everything else forward. Doing so would put my rear driveshaft outlet about 4" back from where it currently stands. As it sits now, my YJ's rear shaft is a short 17" from yoke to yoke. I'm getting ready to add a JB Conversions SS SYE, which should lengthen my driveshaft about another 3". Even with the ~20" driveshaft, having to cut out 4" brings me back down to ~16" - quite short!

An alternate would be to run a 46RE, which is 24-7/8", only 7/8" longer than the AX15. This would require either a 96+ Dodge Ram 46RE, which would have the starter on the "wrong" side (i.e. driver's side). It would also require converting to an OBD-II ECM, and subsequently changing out the intake manifold to the OBD-II setup. This does have the advantage of removing the EGR system, which would make finding compatible headers easier, and would allow additional tuning options for power adders. I would need to find an intake and ECM from a 96-97 Dodge Ram, since later models (98+) have different and incompatible ECM's (though the later model transmissions should work fine).

Another alternate, and the ideal candidate IMO, would be to find a 1998 Jeep ZJ (Grand Cherokee) 46RE. This would have the starter on the "Jeep" side (pass side), as well as work with the 96-97 ECM. Not having a EGR would allow the use of center dump block hugger headers, which will easily clear the starter location and provide ample clearance for wiring.

I've also found that new-production AX-15's are "medium duty" rated and are stronger than those offered in Jeeps in the past. A new one runs $1500... so there's that!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'll be needing more than just a computer - I'll need the ECM, as well as the intake manifold and engine harness to convert to OBD-II. Once it cools down, we have a bunch of Pick-A-Part locations here in the Phoenix area, so I'm sure I'll be able to find one as well as a Dakota bellhousing if I go with the AX-15.

The trans will be more difficult if I go with the Jeep 46RE - I've heard good things from LKQ too, so maybe I'll put in a request for a 1998 5.9 Grand Cherokee transmission...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We had some strong thunderstorms roll in at around 4:30 in the morning, which meant the dogs were freaking out, which meant they woke me up...

The silver lining here was that the temperatures dropped nicely and there was some good cloud cover, so I hit up my favorite local Jeep parts yard and found a 1996 Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 that was intact and ready for parts picking!

10.jpg

It took about 2 hours, but I got everything I needed and then some - the fuse box, manifold with all sensors, the ECM (not that I'll use it for my 5.9 but it's nice to use to mock up fitment), engine harness, body harness, all the transmission connectors, all the emissions equipment (purge solenoid and lines, plus connectors) and even the battery temperature sensor. Also got an extra distributor, cam sensor, and air intake hose with throttle body adapter:

12.jpg

The parts guy is going to pull the engine (it blew a head gasket) and sell the trans and t-case. When the motor is out, I'll head back and pull the exhaust manifolds and y-pipe.

13.jpg

I also snatched an adapter (Factory PN 53010256AB) to let me run the ZJ power steering pump...

14.jpg

The ZJ p/s pump put the pump closer to the engine and higher up, which helps clear the frame and steering shaft better.

15.jpg

However it looks like I'm going to need to figure out the differences in pulleys or accessory spacing. If the Grand Cherokee is closer to the engine than the Ram, it may be a good option to help get some extra room in the front of the engine for the fan to fit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This whole idea is full of awesome. Subscribed.

Reactions: pc1p

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Have you decided on the PS pump yet?
Not yet... I'm sure the ZJ pump will work just fine though. It's been raining (our monsoon season) here and I haven't had a chance to make it back to the yard where I grab Jeep/Dodge parts from, but once it stops raining and cools down a bit more, I'll go grab a few parts for comparison sake. I'm thinking the ZJ stuff fits closer to the block and that should help with fitment. I'll definitely post up what works and what doesn't shortly...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update 8/23/18

Not too much going on with the V8 swap as I'm still in parts gathering mode. The brutal July/August heat combined with the frequent evening rain showers has slowed me down some. However after some debate, I've decided I will stick with the AX15 5-speed. I love rowing the gears and although it will make rock crawling more technically challenging, it's a challenge I enjoy!

I was hoping to find one locally but after calling yard after yard and only finding automatic Dakotas, or yards that only wanted to sell the entire transmission, I set up an auto-search on eBay. Bellhousings were going for almost what they were asking for the complete Dakota transmission, so I was a short ways away from actually picking up the entire transmission. Then out of nowhere, one popped up at night from a parts recycler back east and I snatched it up for $149.

It was disgustingly filthy and required a lot of scrubbing. A full bottle of Super Clean, a Scotch Brite pad, paint scraper and acetone made it look brand-spanking new!

Photo Aug 09, 8 04 49 AM.jpg

For those who keep up with my main build thread, you may have noticed that I got another project vehicle:

With the exception of the V8 swap next summer (and maybe an Atlas IV after that), the Jeep is mostly "finished". There are some small things I need to do, like install a new top this fall and freshly undercoat the wheelwells, but it will be transitioning to "enjoy mode", which is great - that's the whole reason I've been rebuilding it!

I've been a Dodge guy since the beginning and have done a '78 and a 79' in the past (a pic of the '79 mid-project was in an earlier post). I was looking around and thinking about my next project and was leaning towards a FSJ/Grand Wagoneer. However when I saw this 1990 Power Ram W150, I smiled and knew it was the perfect next project.

This one will mostly be a Resto-Mod build - basically stock looking (with the exception of a small lift and 35" tires) but will mostly focus on comfort, reliability and a good bit of streetable horsepower. It has what I was looking for in a project - clean body, ZERO rot (surface rust on roof is normal for these years but the drip rails are clean), A/C that works, and all parts are intact (finding "small parts" for a Dodge is a nightmare!).

Photo Aug 11, 4 19 06 PM.jpg

The current motor in the W150 is strong, well, at least as strong as a 5.2L with +200,000 miles can be. I figured if one 5.9L was good, two 5.9L's are better! I found another 5.9L block on Facebook Marketplace. This one wasn't complete (which is fine) but included the harness and ECU. Total price paid - $100 and it was running up until recently. While I rebuild the engine for the Jeep, I'll be rebuilding the Ram in preparation of having the Jeep down for a few weeks. I plan on spending the next few months working on the Ram and getting it 100% reliable and getting this spare 5.9L rebuilt and swapped in (good practice!).

In preparation for getting one of the 5.9's into the Dodge, I did some work on splitting apart the spare OBD-II harness that came with the new block.

Photo Aug 12, 6 01 19 PM.jpg

The spare harness came from a 1997 Dodge 2500 and it has A LOT less harness connections than the Jeep 5.2L harness I have. This has inspired me to source some new terminals and simply rewire from sensor connector directly to the ECU. In areas where I will need to install or merge harnesses, I'm leaning towards using modern Deutsch connectors.

Photo Aug 12, 6 20 24 PM.jpg

I've got each circuit labeled and will be now removing the transmission control wires. Next up, find a ECU from a 5-speed Ram!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you mocked in the engine yet? I got the Advance Adopters kit, they have an alignment dowel, but I'm thinking to move the entire drivetrain as far forward as possible.
I'll be using the 46re and a 231. I do recall you said the AX and 46re were the same length, so I guess I could just go with the factory location also. Or leave about 5" behind the rad for an electric fan and weld it there. What do you think?

You're using the AX15, so will you be keeping the factory location?

Thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Have you mocked in the engine yet? I got the Advance Adopters kit, they have an alignment dowel, but I'm thinking to move the entire drivetrain as far forward as possible.
I'll be using the 46re and a 231. I do recall you said the AX and 46re were the same length, so I guess I could just go with the factory location also. Or leave about 5" behind the rad for an electric fan and weld it there. What do you think?

You're using the AX15, so will you be keeping the factory location?

Thanks.
I will be keeping the factory location (will also be using the AA kit)...

The AX15 and 46RE (NOT the RH!) is within 1/4" of each other (depending on where you ask) and will leave the Magnum engines in the current location. I believe this allows the use of Dodge Truck accessories and fan clutch. However, you could move the entire drivetrain forward a few inches (by cutting off the dowels or using the Novak kit) and running an electric fan.

For those running the AX/RE trans, it makes sense to leave it where it is. Those running larger and longer transmissions such as the RH or NV4500, you may want to shift everything forward some to save rear driveshaft length.

·
Registered
278 Posts
( Just FYI) I measured the 46re from my Durango and it's a little over 2" longer then the AX 15..

Did you decide on the PS pump yet, the Durango and looks like the Ram one's are way out there. Seems the GC is the way to go. I'll be in search for a GC bracket also. Thanks for putting that out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
( Just FYI) I measured the 46re from my Durango and it's a little over 2" longer then the AX 15..

Did you decide on the PS pump yet, the Durango and looks like the Ram one's are way out there. Seems the GC is the way to go. I'll be in search for a GC bracket also. Thanks for putting that out.
What is the length you're getting on your RE?

I have a TF727 here from a 1984 Dodge RamCharger and it measures 26-1/4".
The AX-15 should be about 24" with bellhousing.
I believe the 46RH is about 31-1/4" but haven't had a Dodge version to measure...

I'll be heading to that yard again this weekend, so if I find another bracket, I'll grab it for ya!

21 - 40 of 81 Posts