Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im in the market for a new phone and like the deal verizon is currently running on the G3. My question is does anyone have and know for sure the G3 with verizon makes and receives calls with no problems? Because my sprint s4 can only receive calls and i want to murder the jeep uconnect system.:pcwhack:

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes my wife has a G3 and I have the G2 - both work fine in the Jeep
X2 (and 3)... I have used the following in our Jeeps:

LG G2 and G3
iPhone 5/6/6+
Samsung Galaxy 5
HTC one

All work no problems...

·
Registered
566 Posts
AT&T

The bluetooth systems on all of these phones are the same between carriers. Should be no difference bud...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AT&T

The bluetooth systems on all of these phones are the same between carriers. Should be no difference bud...
Yea, i wasnt too sure, a couple of people on here said sprint phones freak out with bluetooth because of the CDMA network or w/e it is. I just want to make sure the new phone works because i hate not being able to place calls.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Right here is the fix for Android and Verizon or Sprint .Should be a sticky.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/uconnect-android-verizon-troubles-648306-5.html

xsdbs;17105242]Well, you know that I'm always here to help where ever I can, so here ya go:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8zs5ztsqis1r4l2/(Android1)uconnect.upn

And I know that I've help you before so the steps are the same for performing the update. I'll post them anyway but after I answer a couple of repetitive questions that get asked:

A) The only USB connector that can be used is the one in the center console. It's directly connected to the Uconnect module, the one on the 430 & 430N radios do not send the file to the Uconnect module.

B) If while you’re doing the patch, you hear an error message stating “the digital signature is……….”, please try a different thumb drive.

C) this is the exact same file that is used by the Chrysler Techs, so it will not cause any issues with the radio or your warranty.

D) After a large file update like this, I usually recommend that you delete the pairing of both Uconnect from the phone and the phone from Uconnect. Then do a fresh pairing of the 2 devices. This is because sometimes when a large file update is applied there are some new features added. These features have to be added to the BT pairing handshake between the devices.
Simply put, Uconnect will ask the phone what features that it supports and then Uconnect will tell the phone "okay, cool, here's what we support". Then they both know what to expect from each other. Kind of like a marriage. :)

E) This will cure the "call completed" issue as well as give you better texting capabilities. Meaning that when you rec an incoming message, Uconnect will now give you the senders ID if they're in your contact list. If they are not in your list, then Uconnect will say the number that the message is coming from.

F) I can't say where I got the file from. If I did, then I'd have to send a self destructing gamma ray toward your block to destroy any memory cells that you have about even receiving the file.

and now here's the steps to perform it:

1) Download the file from the Mediafire link that I sent you.
2) Save the file to a thumb drive that has been formatted to FAT32.
3) Rename the file by deleting “(Name)”, so that the file reads uconnect.upn.
4) Place the thumb drive into the USB connector in the center console.
5) Press & release the Uconnect phone button and say “set up, software update”.
6) Uconnect will respond with “starting SW update and you will now start hearing beeps, the beeps will go for about 20- 25 minutes (however, I have been told that some thumb drives have taken a little longer due to their transfer speed). Once you hear that the beeps have ended, the update is finished. Uconnect will go thru a reboot now.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
You are mostly correct in this that the BT system is the same, however there is a difference in the networks and how the send some information to the phone which it in turn uses to send information to the car kit.

Please don't take this as any type of smart a%% reply, it's only an explanation on how things may be different. :)

As an example there is an issue with the CDMA networks (Sprint & Verizon) where they don't send a (+)1 for the country code within the phone number body when there is an incoming text message. Somme car kits look for the country code in order to compare the number to your contacts list and display the senders ID. Until recently, when a CDMA phone had an incoming message, Uconnect didn't see the (+)1, so it said "new message from unknown number". But if the same person called you, their caller ID is displayed. However, the same model phone would give the correct senders ID on the GSM networks (AT&T, T-mobile)

Another example is the "call completed" issue that some Android phones have been having since upgrading to (or were purchased with) Android 4.3.x & 4.4.x from 4.2.x where they had been working fine until the Android version changed.
In this case here, when you attempted to place an outgoing call, the call would start to be placed and then Uconnect would say "call completed" yet the call is active on the phone itself.
Why? Well because Uconnect queries the phone about the call a few times to make sure there is an active call and Uconnect will stay in the hands free mode, When the phone tells Uconnect that the call has ended or that there is "no active call" then Uconnect knows to exit the hands free mode and return back to the radio mode.
In this case here, when Uconnect made the first query to the phone about the call, the phone replied "call is in set up mode". In a few seconds Uconnect would query the phone again and the phone would tell Uconnect that there is "no active call".
This same model phone on the GSM network works fine but not on the GSM networks.
So there fix was:
1) in the incoming text mode, look for the country code, if it's not seen then look at the rest of the oncoming number and compare it to the stored contact list of numbers and display the ID.
2) Query the phone about calls, if the first response is "call in set up mode", then don't query the phone again, wait till the phone sends Uconnect a "call ended" message then return to the radio mode.

So there are some differences between the networks and how they may or may not affect BT performance.

Now for the good news, there is a TSB issued for these issues that Chrysler released last Dec (2014) and I also have posted the SW update file for these issues as mentioned above by Ohioviper.

AT&T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts