Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past months I've been reading and reading the 100's of post to store the hard top now that the weather is allowing us (well.... there is lucky guys in Florida and TX that get to have the soft top year round :bop:).

I also saw some hoist systems that come with a winch that has to be attached to the selling to lift it, but I was wondering if any of you have used the winch on your Jeep to lift your top.

I'm just trying to find the easiest/fastest way to put on and off (maybe weekly or twice a week) the top by myself since there is usually nobody around to help me.

Thanks guys!
:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Your winch would be great on the way up, what about the way down. I don't have a winch, so I don't know if you can reverse it while holding a load.

Do something similar to this. Fast, easy, inexpensive and done easily with one person. Ratchet straps, eye hooks and you are done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.

just put my winch on and waiting for the rope.

curious if anyone ever tried this.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Winches and hoists are different things.

Using one up do the job of the other will at best cause premature wear or at worst cause a safety hazard.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I like the way you think

I like your thinking! The more opportunity to use the winch, the more experience gained.
I've used my winches over the decades for all kinds of crazy things. Great practice and keeps things lubed.
That said I probably wouldn't use the winch for the hardtop for two reasons:
1). It's a bit fast, and doesn't stop immediately
2). Very hard to judge tension of such a light load. Could easily pull the garage down on top of you.

Another thing to consider with the winch is that when paying out rope by using the winch motor, it's actually driving against the brake. Not a good thing to do for more than a few feet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I wanted to check with you guys first!

My "idea" was to have a d-ring on the ceiling holding all 4 corners of the top with an strap each, and a wire going all the way to the front of the garage where I will be connecting the winch and pulling the top up.

I just ordered my winch, it will be getting here by next week and was trying to find a way to have one more use for it! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts