Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think in all the Jeeps I have owned I only folded the windshield one time and the 2000 Sahara I have now i don't think you can anymore. Does anyone still do that?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I honestly can't think of a reason to fold it down. I guess if I wanted to taste some nice juicy bugs maybe.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You can by removing the black torx on the sides i beleive You could fold it down while driving and hunting or photo safari-ing. It would get in the way for stuff like that. In normal jeep life it's not really that useful. I have folded down a windshield to watch fireworks also but that was a CJ. Way easier

·
Registered
551 Posts
back in the day when the jeep was first introduced, the window folded down to allow room for wounded solders on back boards to fit in the jeep. there may be some reasons why people do it now, but its not for the same reason

·
Registered
413 Posts
You can just do it because you can... :D
Anyway, you have to have the top down and door surrounds off.
The procedure is remove the black Torx, one on each side.
Then unbolt the spreader bars from the windshield on each side that run above the doors.
Remove the wipers.
Fold down the windshield.
Remove spreader bars from cage.
Tie down windshield.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You can just do it because you can... :D
Anyway, you have to have the top down and door surrounds off.
The procedure is remove the black Torx, one on each side.
Then unbolt the spreader bars from the windshield on each side that run above the doors.
Remove the wipers.
Fold down the windshield.
Remove spreader bars from cage.
Tie down windshield.

sounds like fun :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to in my old Toyota FJ-40, but it was just a matter of two thumb screw style bolts and fold it down. Handy when off roading into the sun with a dirty/dusty windshield. Felt more like riding in our sand rails. :D Too much work in my Jeep.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Did with the CJ going on out the beach, deep ruts+4L+3rd gear+windshield down=cruising down the beach riding on the roll bar :) Course this was before the cops rode on the beach too...probably wouldn't make it 10 ft like that now without getting a ticket!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Used to do it all the time in my 89YJ and 75 CJ.....but I am also an avid motorcyclist. Something about the wind in your face that makes a trip seem more memorable......

Be aware..... you have to follow the same safety laws as motorcyclists for EYE protection when you have windshield down..... that goes for EVERYONE in the Jeep.....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Used to do it all the time in my 89YJ and 75 CJ.....but I am also an avid motorcyclist. Something about the wind in your face that makes a trip seem more memorable......

Be aware..... you have to follow the same safety laws as motorcyclists for EYE protection when you have windshield down..... that goes for EVERYONE in the Jeep.....
As in just sunglasses?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Do it in my 1972 cj5, but nothing else I own. Takes too much time and effort. Only takes 10 seconds in my cj. You can see the two latches on the dash...that's it. Wish they were still like that in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
@bignuke.......depends on the state........in Illinois......sunglasses are permissible...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lot's of fun jeeping on the mountain trails with it down, easy on my CJ, not easy on my Rubi. Back in the fifties we use to chase rabbits on the plains of eastern Colorado and shot out the front windsheild in my CJ-2A, windshield glass folded up.
Ron

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Plus the windshield seal likes to leak after you put it back up. Not worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Plus the windshield seal likes to leak after you put it back up. Not worth it to me.
I do it all the time! If you like the top and doors off, try the windshield down. You must as a Jeep owner ;)

I've never had a drop come through my seal. Just clean the seal! Horror stories are just that, stories. You can't believe everything you hear just IMO.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Haven't had mine down in awhile. It is fun when off road. Plus it saves the windshield from rocks while banging around trails. This got me thinking does the windshield in the JK go down or have they done away with that feature

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I fold mine down when cruising backroads or cruising the beach.
Come every spring I remove the side rollbars until after summer.
I also remove the screws on each side and replace them with ones with knobs. It drops in seconds and never has leaked. I could never have foglights on the hood because I like to drop mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts