Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on 33" 15 Duratrac Setup. Does anyone regret doing this?

What wheels/tires decisions do you regret, or what would you do differently?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on 33" 15 Duratrac Setup. Does anyone regret doing this?

What wheels/tires decisions do you regret, or what would you do differently?
Pretty firm regret going to 33" BFG KO2s. They're great tires and all, but what I ordered (305/65-18) should've been more like 34". These measure out to EXACTLY 33. If I had it all to do over again I would've gone straight for 35 or 36 to get 34 or 35...

O_E

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went very tame on my first outing of tires and a leveling kit. I can always go bigger later as the obsession grows, but it's much more expensive to go balls out and regret it later.

My biggest issue (for NOW) was to keep the 17" 75th anniversary wheels. Over time that may change, but for now it was important.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
If you go down to a 15" wheel it will just clear the brake caliper/bracket. We've had issues with tape weights that were doubled up for balancing (one on top of the other) hitting the brake assembly. Had to go back to clip-on wheel weights which can be knocked off in rocks or stumps and scratch up the rims when installed and removed. Also would prevent you from ever running one of the big brake kits. Will probably go back to 17"rims in future. We did like the 33" Duratracs. They are a nice middle ground between a mud terrain and all terrain. We went to more of a MT tire this time, but didn't have any issues with the Duratracs on mild trails.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The Duratrac is a great tire, especially if you get Winter weather. Personally I would not go down to a 15 inch wheel. Big brake kits won't work with them, often 15s won't even clear a stock set-up. Also if you do decide to lift, 15s won't work with some kits. On the Jeep JK 17s seem to be ideal. I usually run 17s but would consider 18-20s based on tire size.

Some go 15-16 because it appears to be cheaper. However it isn't when they end up redoing it for 17+ wheels.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Some go 15-16 because it appears to be cheaper. However it isn't when they end up redoing it for 17+ wheels.
the smaller wheels also look better...
and work better (more sidewall is always nice...)
why would I ever go back to 17's?
I don't need the "big brake" kit... the stock brakes are fine... light years better than the old drum brakes my '52 had...

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I wouldn't use the word regret... it's more of a "everyone said I'd want 35's if i went with 33's... i should have just listened... cause they were right" kinda thing.

In the end, they're just tires. You're going to replace them eventually. These ones will likely get replaced this fall or next spring. then on to 35's probably.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
I regret going to a 33" because of the 3.21's, just not quite enough gear. Wish I had 3.73's but I probably would have been dumb enough to run 35's if I did! Hahaha

·
Registered
90 Posts
I regret going to a 33" because of the 3.21's, just not quite enough gear. Wish I had 3.73's but I probably would have been dumb enough to run 35's if I did! Hahaha
What tire did you end up going with? I have the 3.21s, and currently run 275/65/18. Looking at maybe going up to 275/70, but no bigger.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have 33's right now. They aren't bad, I just want bigger. So now I am going straight to 37's

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Getting the 285s was plain old dumb in my case. I kept trying to convince myself that "they looked good", it lasted about 2 years haha (esp with flats) . If I had a D44 up front I would have gone 37s.

33s

35s

·
Registered
412 Posts
What tire did you end up going with? I have the 3.21s, and currently run 275/65/18. Looking at maybe going up to 275/70, but no bigger.
I went with 285/70-17 Fallken Wildpeak A/T3W on 17x9" MB Razor
No rubbing. 285/75? hrmmm

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I went to DT 33x12.5x15 about 15,000 miles ago.

I really think 16" wheels would be better for clearance and looks.

I'm happy w the though.

I haven't had any balance weight issues. However I have a metalcloak tie rod in now that I didn't have on wheel install. The tolerance there is super tight. I had a wheel get slightly out of round and upon my last tire rotation it rubbed on the tie rod and both the wheel and tie rod lost a hair of metal. A different set of wheels could be better.

I did drop 6lbs a wheel/tire combo.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Yes, I regret purchasing 315 Duratracs for my first tires JK.
Yes, I regret only doing 2.5" lift on for my first lift on JK.

I offroad, play hard, and love it. Should have done MT's, true 35s, and 3.5" right off the bat.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
My only regret, starting off with 33's instead of going straight to 35's, mostly because the $1500 i spent doing the 33's, only to pay again 6 months later for new tires when i did the switch... damn it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts