Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ride all the time without sway bars? this kid i work with is telling me noone reconnects them and to just take corners slow. sounds kinda shady to me.

the reason why im asking is; the original upper bolt wont come out. it looks fused into the hole like a peg rather than bolt. i was wondering if i needed to cut it and drill it out or if i could just tuck the whole thing up and forget about it.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
disconnect the bottom first, I used a tie rod puller to get mine to pop off. Hammer wasnt gonna do it. I have disco's but always ride with them connected. Thats just insanities to ride disco'd if ya ask me. I tried it once, I repeat, once.

·
Registered
231 Posts
no way thats bad news hahaha if your going fast at all or have to avoid something your tire could tuck on the freeway and you lose control. from there its all luck you could roll or just hit a k rail or something. but mobbin with those things disconnected is no good.
there is way to much flex for the street

·
Registered
368 Posts
i havent had my front swaybar connected for months and cant tell a difference on the road. it flexes a little more than before. tj's will sway a lot more than yj's because they are coil sprung, but our yj's leaf springs are much more stable. go ahead, take em off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Homemade Jeep Swaybar Disconnects
If you use your Jeep to go off-roading, then you know how advantageous it is to get more flex out of your suspension and one of the easiest ways to do this is by disconnecting your front swaybars. There are plenty of aftermarket kits out there but if your Jeep is still stock height or lifted only 2", then I say save the $80-$100 and make your own.

What You Will Need • 2 - 2-1/2"x7/16" Clevis Pins
• 2 - Cotter Pin
• 4 - 7/16" Grade 5 or better washers
• Torxs Bit Set (every Jeep owner should have one)
• Wrench

Installation 1. Park your Jeep on level ground and then unbolt your factory swaybar link bolts using a Torx55 bit and a wrench. There is a washer in between the link bushing and its mounting point that you will need to re-use so be sure not to loose it.

2. Replace the bolt you just removed by sliding on your new Clevis pin. Be sure to use a washer on both ends of the pin and clip it.

That's it, your done. As you'll notice, the 7/16" diameter is a bit narrow but anything larger would be too fat and you wouldn't be able to remove it very easily on the trail.

How to Use
1. Stop your Jeep on level ground before you get on the trail and then disconnect your sway bar links.

2. Now, rotate your entire front sway bar (the large "U" shaped bar that wraps around the front of your grill and is underneath the plastic cover with the Jeep logo on it) upward. It may stick a little at first giving the impression that it won't move but it will rotate up with a little effort.

3. Once your front sway bar is in the up position, you should be able to rotate your links up and over the top of the front spring perches where they can sit safely out of the way.

4. It's a good idea to strap the links in place using a bungie cord or zip ties so that they don't accidently bounce off the spring perches. It's highly unlikely that they will but you never know.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i agree never had mine on to begin with, i dont' even have track bars on front, rear, i got nothing, jsut springs axle and frame. you don't need them, really unless you have mad lift jsut go without.

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
my trackbars and sway bar are laying in the scrap metal pile. i havent run one in a couple of years.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
None on mine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
no trak bars or sway bars on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
All that stuff has been off mine for years. It is even my daily driver and never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I don't run one on the rear of my heap...use quick (home built) discos on the front.
Same here. The Rubicon Express lift instructions have you remove the rear but running JKS disco's in front.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My YJ had no front sway bar for last couple of years, I noticed no difference on road.

Here in NY we are subject to Inspections, I never had a problem, but did have it pointed out a couple of times that it is "required equipment"..... it was also suggested that if I had made the bolts on the spring perches disappear I would no longer have that problem. "What Sway Bar?"......:confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
ive got neither on mine also and no problems i sounds like its mostly personal preferance you would be ok without em but if you dont feal safe then keep em

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have quick disconnects, took then off 2 weeks ago off roadin, and haven't put them back on, no big deal. before i changed my shocks though, it was pretty bad. i will still run them, eventually...

·
Registered
38 Posts
So this is an easy mod to get more suspension flex, correct?
Correct, i read removing your track/sway bars can get you up to 15% more flex.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts