Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone uses any small cameras in their wranglers for security (maybe aimed inside the cabin?)? If so, any suggestions on what you use?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
I was shopping around myself, and the OwlCam looks interesting.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Wondering if anyone uses any small cameras in their wranglers for security (maybe aimed inside the cabin?)? If so, any suggestions on what you use?

Thanks in advance,
Adam
Yes, I do. I have (3) of the Mini 0906 dual dash cam setups, for a total of 6 cams recording at once. 2 of those cams are recording the interior. The other 4 are recording a 360 degree exterior.

The Mini 0906 has multiple parking operation modes which is what you want for a dash cam to be able to provide any kind of security to prevent from draining your battery as well as using up a bunch of storage space.

Parking modes supported (ignition key is in off position):
Auto lapse Switch: When you turn off the ignition, the cam will go into a lapse record operation. It's recording at [email protected], and then if it detects there is motion, it will then go into full [email protected] recording. This is the one I use.
Always Time Lapse: Same as above but no switching to full record.
Motion Detection: No recording, and then starts recording when the vehicle gets bumped.
Normal Recording: Always recording at the setting of your choice when ignition is off.

The thing to keep in mind with Dash cams is that if someone breaks in, they may steal your dash cam which also holds the SD card it is recording on. This is the reason I have 3 setups for a total of 6 cams. I have 1 cam mounted on the front windshield (one forward facing, the other reward facing). The rear facing is recording the view from the front and facing rearward.

I also have another mini 0906 dual cam setup mounted on my rear window, with one of the cams recording the interior from the rear and facing forward. So if they notice the cam in the front and decide to steal that setup, then there's another cam in the rear they are unlikely to notice. The other 2 cams are facing the exterior sides....I'm concerned with door ding bandits as well.

I have multiple mounts and additional cams I purchased that I plug in and out for a total of 8 cams but only 6 recording at a time. Below is my rear cam setup for when I have the top off....thus, no rear glass mount option but should give you the idea. There is an additional cable unplugged that you may be able to see. That cable runs under my JK, so I can record the front axle area for when off roading. That's another nice thing about the Mini 0906 setup. There are accessories such as additional cables, additional camera mounts, power adapters and additional water proof rear cams, which makes the system flexible and highly customizable for whatever you want to record.

The Mini 0906 is designed and manufactured by a single company but sold under a few different brand names. They're all the same besides the turn on splash screen, so get the one that cost the least.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Interesting, Rednroll. The thing I am curious about is if you record someone dinging your door, what do you do with that?

Much more than you can if someone breaks in. The purpose would be to capture their license plate number and the actual event as it took place and them driving away. You then take that information to the police department and the police would go after them for a hit and run. This is actually what happened to me prior to having the cams installed where I was sitting in my JK at a store parking lot waiting for my wife to come out of the store and some azz clown side swiped me and then proceeded to drive off when I got out to confront them. I took down their license plate#, and went to the police station and made a police report. The police called me 2 days later to inform me they got the guy, gave him a hit&run ticket and provided me the police report for my insurance purposes to make sure my insurance was able to go after theirs to reclaim my deductible for any repairs. One incident like that can save you the cost of the entire system in repairs and insurance deductible, not to mention teaching a disrespectful azz clown a lesson.

Driver Side cam

Passenger side cam

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a DR650GW-2CH.

My previous Blackvue was able to capture someone keying my car @ the gym. It was also able to capture his license plate since he was parked in front of me and I always reverse into parking spots. Guy was arrested and I pressed charges.

The video also has sound so you can hear the Jeep being keyed.
Never spoke to this guy previous to the incident nor had an issue with him in any way.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Wow. Did the fellow have to pay to have the Jeep fixed Cinisi?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I have a DR650GW-2CH.

My previous Blackvue was able to capture someone keying my car @ the gym. It was also able to capture his license plate since he was parked in front of me and I always reverse into parking spots. Guy was arrested and I pressed charges.

The video also has sound so you can hear the Jeep being keyed.
Never spoke to this guy previous to the incident nor had an issue with him in any way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXIIgkkCMfI

That is absolutely awesome that you caught him doing that ish! Did you have to go to court? I would have loved to hear the story of his explanation in the court.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes I went to court and the guy claimed I wasn't the person he was targeting. I thought it was bull but that's the only explanation I was given. He was in tears outside the courtroom saying he was sorry. Only thing he paid @ court was my deductible. My insurance picked up the repair cost and they went after his insurance for reimbursement.

I couldn't believe who it was when I saw the video. He was 65 yrs old.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
I just add here, that my local paper has started a "file" on their website of the pictures being submitted to the police. There are several hundreds of them. Some of them even have the "ring.com" logo.

The purpose of the website is if anyone recognizes any of the people or vehicles in the pics, to please notify the police.

While it was mentioned here that the police can (and do) follow-thru if a license plate is clearly visible, I tend to wonder just what people expect to be done by having a picture of the person, or of a vehicle? For the most part, the police don't seem to recognize who these people are. I mean, its not like the police will look at your picture and say "well, that is Otis again".

·
Registered
587 Posts
Being involved in multiple court cases right now where the other person is telling lies it goes a long way having a video that proves your innocence.

Our dog was attacked by the neighbors dog in front of the owner, myself, my wife and my 3 month old son. The neighbor claimed to the police that their dog only sniffed my dog. Luckily our Ring video captured the incident.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Thanks in advance,
Adam
I think the following videos would be more then enough proof to show you (the OP) as to why I 100% will spend the money on a camera set up, first video was nothing more then an irritence but still shows how innatentive people can get at times....the second was pursued, police gave a sitation, not exactly for what but I will assume for hit and run as that was the main event, just happy the police were in the right spot at the right time for me on that one....

Please pardon the videos are 2:00 segments....both were taken with my trucks camera, I have sinse upgrade to much better cameras sinse the videos as well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Note to self, stay away from Cinisi's gym and neighborhood.
Amen. We’re out of this state in less then 2 yrs.

·
Commercial Member
7,026 Posts
I think the following videos would be more then enough proof to show you (the OP) as to why I 100% will spend the money on a camera set up, first video was nothing more then an irritence but still shows how innatentive people can get at times....the second was pursued, police gave a sitation, not exactly for what but I will assume for hit and run as that was the main event, just happy the police were in the right spot at the right time for me on that one....

Please pardon the videos are 2:00 segments....both were taken with my trucks camera, I have sinse upgrade to much better cameras sinse the videos as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u7HyDWGaIA&t=0s&list=PLUvnrivVqsO_k1shjoB0txrZ6V1dH5n-V&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7U2_7J0mP8&t=0s&list=PLUvnrivVqsO_k1shjoB0txrZ6V1dH5n-V&index=5
The second video looks like you might have cut him off, as your lane was a right turn lane and you switched into the left lane, looks like he was right beside you?
Either way, obviously he can't just drive off.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
in the second vid he was behind me by a cars length, and the right turn lane does one of two actions, either you merge left to continue straight or turn right (however the city I was in at the time has yet to post signs that should be there) and I guess I could have rushed forward and bullied the smaller car out of the way but I figured I would be polite and use the optional turn signal indicator to indicate that I was planing on shifting over to the left, however that is besides the point, the driver of the black truck that side swiped me and then ran from the scene of the accident told the police that I hit him first, after reviewing the camera footage they nailed him with hit and run/fleeing the scene of a motor vehicle accident which is why I am planing on installing a full 360 camera system for my truck and jeep as I would have loved to have had it for that instance so I could have seen what did occur behind me and learn from any mistakes/misjudgements I may have made that time.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Thanks, just ordered one of these for my wife on a lightning deal for 40 bucks. Great stocking stuffer.

Looking for something better for my JKU, with a rear camera also.

The mini 0906 have great video quality. I'ld say they're one of the better value priced dual dash cam setups. Regular price is $130 on Amazon, I've gotten them on Lightning sales and Ebay for about $100.
https://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-Camera-Recorder-Glasses-G-Sensor/dp/B07FVFY86H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544693647&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mini+0906&psc=1

For parking mode operations, you do have to purchase the separate 3 wire power adapter which has B+, ACC, and GND wires so it can detect when the ignition is on and off.
https://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-Camera-Recorder-Glasses-G-Sensor/dp/B07H3RLR4B/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544693647&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mini+0906&tag=wranglerforumconvert-20&th=1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts