Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have 3 yr old 80lbs German shepherd and I use to harness him at the back while I travel but he doesn't want a stay calm. He jumps and scratches the window every time a car goes by. I may have to buy a crate but the size I normally keep him in my house does not fit. Wondering anyone using crates for a big dog's if so, what's the biggest size that will fit in 4door JK. Or I have to go for custom?
Any info will help. Thanks

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
They make crates with the "door" on the long side, so that you can put in the back of a vehicle turned sideways. Could such work better for you?

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
I have Shepherds as well. I used to use those plastic crates but those can be hard to fit (and hard for the dog to fit in.)

I ended up building my own using foldable metal crates, rearranging the panels and using foam pipe insulation around the edges to avoid scratching the car seats and to make them more comfortable for the doggie. (Something like Dog Cages & Crates: Drs. Foster & Smith Basic 2 Door Dog Crate)

They're in my wife's XC90, held in place with ratcheting straps and locked to each other. Haven't made any for the Jeep yet.

Those fit so well I considered starting a business building custom-fitted crates for every car model. I'd post pics but I'm out of town right now.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I havent tried putting any crates in my JKU yet but it certainly looks like my biggest crate will fit(used for my 115lb rottie).

That being said, I would spend some time training your dog not to go off on anything that passes.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Good advice

That being said, I would spend some time training your dog not to go off on anything that passes.
^^^^^ This :thumb:

Not to steer you away from providing a safer place for your dog when traveling, but that behavior is just the tip of the iceberg.

The crate should be just big enough for your dog to turn around in, and lay down. Smaller is calmer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh trust me I tried what ever I can and He is okay when he is next to me on the pass seat but I got to put him all the way back during family trips and that's where the problem.
I talked to bunch of guys in GSD club and they are all suggesting to get a crate, cause he is one of the dog with high prey drive. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 95lb King Shepherd and I use a teather strap. One end attaches to collar and the other end into the seatbelt latch. Works fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 65lb weimaraner and I use a 36in crate in the back of a 2dr JK. It is smaller than the one I use in the house (42 in) but for trips it does not bother her. She is usually curled up, so that she doesn't even take up half of the 36 in crate.
To fit in straight back I have to take the rear seat out. Or I can put her in and then rotate if the rear seat is still in but folded up. in an unlimited, you probably would not have to take the rear seat out to fit it straight back. I use paracord and Nite-Ize cam jam clips to tie the crate down so it can't tip over.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Don't make excuses

I talked to bunch of guys in GSD club and they are all suggesting to get a crate, cause he is one of the dog with high prey drive.
No better way to travel with a dog than when it is protected in the right size crate firmly attached to the vehicle. That is sound advice, from smart people. :thumb:

A down is a down, is a down. Period. Anything less is an excuse.
If a dog won't hold a down, then the handler needs serious training.
Train smarter and don't blame the dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have this exact kennel in a couple different sizes for my Chihuahuas and seriously question their durability for a large dog. They also have a fair amount of flex, which might make them kind of hard to get in and out of the Jeep.

When I had large dogs, the plastic crates always seemed to work the best in vehicles. If you're having trouble finding something that will fit, check out sites for hunting dogs. They normally have a lot of crates that are made specifically to fit into the back of SUVs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No better way to travel with a dog than when it is protected in the right size crate firmly attached to the vehicle. That is sound advice, from smart people. :thumb: A down is a down, is a down. Period. Anything less is an excuse. If a dog won't hold a down, then the handler needs serious training. Train smarter and don't blame the dog.
100%agree with you , i am not blaming him, I just didn't train him well enough. Thanks for all the feedbacks and I ll look for a crate and probably take some class for myself too. Thumb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Make him sit and wait to be let in. Don't let him in until he is calm, don't talk to him. It is a privilege for him to ride in your Jeep. Give him something he likes to chew on then take him for a swim. No need for a crate..

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
We use crates with ours almost 99% of the time they are in any of the vehicles, for many reasons we don't let them roam freely on rides. Our 3 GSDs are 85lbs, 74lbs, and 62lbs, all use the 36" plastic travel crates from Petmate and a few other brands. We keep the crate smaller so they don't have too much room, just in case there's an accident, they won't be tossed around too much and they'll be laying down and away from the glass and such. We've also looked at buying or making custom kennels, that was ranging between $300-$1000 depending on material. Our favorite was the wood, with insulation and fans to keep them cool. That was estimated out around $400-$500 to build ourselves.

Our Nature's Miracle travel crates fit in my JKUS. 1 with all the seats up, goes in sideways in the back, and 2-4 fit when the back seats are down or taken out. Petmate ones are a squeeze, but 1 fits with all seats up, 2 when down/out. Also the new Kong model fits as well, same as the Petmate. We have a few other Jeep owners in our training group, and they all use the same with their 2 dr and 4dr Jeeps without an issue.

This is the set up I had in my last SUV -much smaller than my JKUS- with the Nature's Miracle 36" travel crates (for comparison, the dog on the left is our 85lb male, and the right is our 62lb female):

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Sitting or holding with training is one thing- a jacka** cuts you off suddenly or you're in an accident and all the training in the world won't protect your dog from injury.
I agree with a slightly smaller crate than typical- and would also suggest shopping Craigs list for used ones. At least in my area they are a fraction of the cost. If you want to try a harness in the back seat- Sleepypod is actually crash tested and fared the best.
Sleepypod® Safety
Center for Pet Safety, The Science of Pet Safety, Pet Product Testing, Crash Testing, Scientific Testing, Criteria, Pet Safety Advocate, PetSafety

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You GSD8

This is exactly the information I was looking for. I have 2 large GSDs and am trading in my Grand Cherokee for a Wrangler Unlimited. My husband worried about how the dogs could fit, and this cinches the deal for me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The commercial dog crates were about 3/4" too long at 36" to fit in my YJ so I made one from commercial grid wire zip tied together. (24" x 24" x 33")

1 - 19 of 19 Posts