Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago the 'wive's tale' was that vehicles built on a Wed had fewer quality control issues than those built on "Hangover Mondays" or "Weekend's Here Fridays." My Hard Rock was built about 11 PM on a Saturday (and it's on the train now - and will be for a couple weeks! Can trains really be that slow???) I've read the South Toledo plant operates two shift, six days/week. So quite literally, it looks like mine was built in the final minutes of the work week. I've searched this forum and many others and haven't found a thread, so if this question's been asked before, my apologies!
Does anyone have any thoughts - hopefully backed by data? :happyyes:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do robots care what day of the week it is?
I think I would be more concerned about the vehicle that gets assembled over 2 shifts or worse before and after the day off. One guy starts something but doesn't finish and the next guy starts on the next step.
As far as the train, the one that runs through town here seems to move that slow when I am in a hurry to get somewhere.
Sorry no data to back it up. I have heard the same thing but it would not really worry me.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I wouldnt imagine it is a problem. Surely they have employees that work tue-sat or thu-mon or any other combination. I doubt the whole place shuts down for the weekend, especially with as many JK's as they are selling.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not made up. Management would actually pick fights at "Major Automotive" companies on Mondays and Fridays to prevent pre-weekend discussions and post-weekend discussions. Besides, angry workers work harder.

I am "familiar" with management from American Automotive and they had similar open discussion now that they are transplanted to new companies. Hopefully American Automotive has improved. I am in a GM crater where GM pulled out and the town deflated. I can tell you when the Cherokee delivery was halted, the dealer couldn't believe what the former GM employees were saying. "Man, we (GM) would have shipped anyway. No way would we have held it up". They thought the dealer was joking. This tells me FCA is improving over normal American Automotive and is likely ahead of the curve. Since it WAS a known issue, maybe it doesn't exist now.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Toledo runs seven days a week. The concerns on day of build are a non-issue.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Toledo runs seven days a week. The concerns on day of build are a non-issue.
Technically, Toledo runs six days/two shifts. But they offer a LOT of overtime on Sundays. Whether or not they run on a Sunday depends on the number of orders in the queue and if they can get enough employees to run a full shift.

At least that's what a little squirrel told us. :)

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
So quite literally, it looks like mine was built in the final minutes of the work week. I've searched this forum and many others and haven't found a thread, so if this question's been asked before, my apologies!
Does anyone have any thoughts - hopefully backed by data? :happyyes:
I worked 25 years at a Chrysler assembly plant, although the majority of it was not on the line. However, it takes several days for a vehicle to make it through the entire manufacturing process. That final minutes of the work week that it shows on the computer was just when it rolled off the final assembly line.

As far as quality goes and whether to avoid something that was built on a Monday or Friday, I've witnessed improvement in quality when the regular worker was gone (3-day weekend) and a temp filled in. The regular worker sometimes got bored with their job and didn't necessarily follow the build guidelines to the letter. The temp worker was all gung-ho about the job and was usually trying to make a good impression and hopefully get hired as a full-time worker. He/she would follow the procedure to the letter.

Anyway, do not sweat it if the computer says yours was built on the last workday of the week. The warranty is the same, no matter when it was built if there's ever a problem.

·
Retired Moderator
100,626 Posts
What I am about to Post, is just a opinion, because I have never worked for the Auto Industry.
I really don't think that it makes any difference, what day of the week is shown as your build date!!!!!

But, the work that is performed in the morning hour's, before lunch brake, will be of a higher quality.
Two reasons:
1. Fresh non-tired employees just perform better, both mentally and physically. After all they are human. Robots not included.

2. It has made the news on television, more than once, at lunch time the workers are out drinking alcohol and smoking there Pot. This has been videoed several times. So do you really think that you are receiving quality from these individuals......:eek::eek::eek:
I'm not going to mention how the Unions play a part in this, because that will just cause a flame fest!!!!!!!!
Obviously this doesn't apply to all of the workers, what %, is anybody's guess.

But when your Wrangler does this...:atomic:, you still have warranty...:happyyes:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I worked 25 years at a Chrysler assembly plant, although the majority of it was not on the line. However, it takes several days for a vehicle to make it through the entire manufacturing process. That final minutes of the work week that it shows on the computer was just when it rolled off the final assembly line.

As far as quality goes and whether to avoid something that was built on a Monday or Friday, I've witnessed improvement in quality when the regular worker was gone (3-day weekend) and a temp filled in. The regular worker sometimes got bored with their job and didn't necessarily follow the build guidelines to the letter. The temp worker was all gung-ho about the job and was usually trying to make a good impression and hopefully get hired as a full-time worker. He/she would follow the procedure to the letter.

Anyway, do not sweat it if the computer says yours was built on the last workday of the week. The warranty is the same, no matter when it was built if there's ever a problem.
I don't think you can get an opinion better than this, from someone who has first hand knowleged of the industry. I only know that my 10 was pulled from the line for enhanced quality control and I've had no issues with it. Coincidence, maybe or maybe not. I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not made up. Management would actually pick fights at "Major Automotive" companies on Mondays and Fridays to prevent pre-weekend discussions and post-weekend discussions. Besides, angry workers work harder.

I am "familiar" with management from American Automotive and they had similar open discussion now that they are transplanted to new companies. Hopefully American Automotive has improved. I am in a GM crater where GM pulled out and the town deflated. I can tell you when the Cherokee delivery was halted, the dealer couldn't believe what the former GM employees were saying. "Man, we (GM) would have shipped anyway. No way would we have held it up". They thought the dealer was joking. This tells me FCA is improving over normal American Automotive and is likely ahead of the curve. Since it WAS a known issue, maybe it doesn't exist now.

Thanks, all, for your additional insights. Actually great information to have, and lucky to have some 'insiders' post up too!!

Now the tough part; waiting for the slow train, and then making the final decision as to whether or not to actually let my beloved TJ go for the Rock - :bop:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Hard Rock came in - a week ahead of 'schedule' thanks to the salesman making the right call at the right time to the rail yard in Council Bluffs.
I read on another thread that the AT fluid is usually low. Yep, it was on this one too.
Only have 300 miles on it so far, but it's a really nice ride!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gonna have to change the old avatar I guess...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts