Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the cold weather effect the way my 2012 JK 6 speed manual transmission shifts and stays in gear? In February it was very cold in Chicago. When the Jeep was in 1st and 3rd gear it would sometimes fall out of gear when inwasnt accelerating. Now that it is warmer the problem seems to have disappeared. Please advise.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Move to Florida.:lmao: Curious what others will say is the issue.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I believe I have noticed something similar but I thought it was my imagination. :(

One more negative to add to these manuals.

DO you have the marbles in a can sound in 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes I believe it does. but I can't speak intelligently on the topic so take it for what it's worth. Although the popping out of gear I think is a common complaint. I never had that issue even when very cold.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Very cold temps will effect anything with fluid in it. If it happening after it has been driven a little, warming up the fluid, that isn't normal. Your shift linkage needs some adjusting if it falling out of gear. But if it only happens when very cold, I wouldn't worry about.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Does the cold weather effect the way my 2012 JK 6 speed manual transmission shifts and stays in gear? In February it was very cold in Chicago. When the Jeep was in 1st and 3rd gear it would sometimes fall out of gear when inwasnt accelerating. Now that it is warmer the problem seems to have disappeared. Please advise.
Are you sure that, during the cold weather, and your teansmission was cold and stiff, that you were fully engaged into the gear that was giving the problem? I know, now there is really no way to double check, but if you dont have any more trouble this spring, summer, fall, just try to be more concious of it come winter again amd see if that may be your problem, or if you really do have a problem in cold weather.
As a side note....synthetic gear lubricants really are superior to dino lubes in cold weather, so if you were to switch to synthetic tranny lube, maybe your problem would just disappear!
Back in the good old days, before synthetic lubes, I used to park with my transmission in high gear, and my transfer case in neutral during sub zero weather so that during warmup, everything would be rotating and warming up!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Change out manual trans fluid, I went with AMSOIL Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 last year works great it was -35* last month no problems.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have a 2012 with the 6 speed. And up until last fall I lived in IA with similar cold weather to Chicago. My transmission has never had any problem staying in gear.

Something as simple as a fluid change could help you.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I would change the fluid since you have a 12. I use Amsoil manual synthetic synchromesh in my manual trans. The popping out of gear, or failing to stay in gear in extreme cold weather, 99% of the time is that the inner shift boot is becoming stiff due to the temps. Unfortunately, that's normal with some JK's. The inner shift boot can be adjusted or replaced if it starts to become a constant issue. From the symptoms you described it wouldn't be the fluid, although switching to synthetic will help it shift easier especially in extreme cold weather. Since when it warms up and with the increase in temp the problem no longer exists, IMO it's the inner shift boot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts