Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes a 7-8” wide, radial (not bias) tire that is 30” with an aggressive all terrain (not mud terrain) tread pattern?

Bias tires don’t do well on the highway and are prone to falling apart if overheated, also can’t be aired down on the trails.

Find me some pizza cutters.

Post pics if you have them please!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
You'll have to go with a smaller tire if you want them narrower than a 9.5" width. 30x9.5 is the standard size. Even a small 215/75R15 tire is basically a 28x8". I ran Goodyear 235/75r15 tires on my XJ before I upgraded to 33s. They were great in snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Coker tires, those are pizza cutters, IIRC. not sure what sizes but i think they run tall n skinny.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
When I put new tires on my TJ I stuck with the OEM size that came on the Rubicon, LT245/75R16 which are 30.5" tall and went with GY Duractracs. I like them a great deal. They also show LT235/85R16 GY tires in the Duratrac tread.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...QR6WDTV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Unfortunately they are LR E and are actually 31.7" tall which may require a BB lift (pucks) to not rub the fenders.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
It doesn't exist. You'll have to go with a smaller tire if you want them narrower than a 9.5" width. 30x9.5 is the standard size. Even a small 215/75R15 tire is basically a 28x8".
:)

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
You need to give us a bit more information, are the wheels the original equipment or after market. Which style wheels. What is the width of the wheels?

For example my 1991 YJ came from the factory with 7" x 15" steel wheels and P215/75R15 tires. That 7" is critical to the width of the tire. BFG lists the 215/75R15 tires. That is basically a 28" tire (27.7" tall) and is 8.5" wide when mounted on 6" wide wheels. The recommended wheel width is between 5.5" and 7".

Sounds like you want something like the old 6.7" x 15 tires. They were 27.4" tall, and 7" wide. Unfortunately the maximum recommended wheel width is 6" and the only ones available are called "vintage" tires and have street tread. No tire dealer would mount them on 7" wide wheels.

That was a very common tire 60 years ago.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-56900/overview/

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Who makes a 7-8” wide, radial (not bias) tire that is 30” with an aggressive all terrain (not mud terrain) tread pattern?
The bottom line is NOBODY makes a 30x7-8" tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts