Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I FINALLY got a 2 1/2" lift kit on the 95 Wrangler I've had since it was new! Only 70K miles on it too. Loving it! The guy that installed the lift kit/tires said I needed to bring it back for an adjustment after I put 500 miles on it. Does anyone know of any adjustments that he could be talking about?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a legit adjustment or if he's just trying to rake me over the coals for more money. This is Florida after all! Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Just checking the torque is all that's necessary. If they try to charge you, invest in a torque wrench if you don't have one and do it yourself- not hard to do. They are responsible for the install and probably just covering their butts since it recommends checking the hardware after 500 miles in the instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I suspect it entails a retorque of the lug nuts and an alignment check. We advise customers with new wheels to come back after 500 miles for a retorque. The alignment check shouldn't be needed unless the steering wheel is off center. The leaf springs settle in after a few hundred miles, which would cause the drag link to be off. The tracking and thrust angle may also be off. Toe should be fine if done properly the first time.

Reactions: Eco and maxtor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Do you think I should get charged for anything or should it be part of the lift kit install in general for the basics?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
That depends on what you agreed to before work started...
Contrary to popular belief businesses don't ever do anything for free.... there is always some way in which they feel it will help their bottom line....

If they charged you a little more on the install to account for a 'free' adjustment then no charge.... otherwise they will likely charge you something....
Call and ask them what they plan to do and what they will charge you for it.....

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
The lug nut torque should be free, but the alignment check may pose a small fee. It should be free but you never know.

Reactions: Eco
1 - 7 of 7 Posts