Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one on my jeep, and i honestly think its been giving me more problems than problems that its helping. After adjusting my steering and toe in amount today i was driving and having all kinds of crazy stuff happening with my steering wheel that i just couldnt figure out. i removed to dampener to process of eliminate and the problems literally went amount. i drove for 2 hours with no dampener shock at all and didnt have a single wobble, even at highway speeds, and i was literally hitting every bump and pothole possible, nothing.

a local alignment shop that works on "lifted rigs" (thats what they claim) says that rancho steering dampeners sort of act like a regular shock, as in they only really apply force when being compressed, and dont give the same resistance when being expanded. anyone ever hear this?

he said all the trucks he puts BDS steering dampeners on are always perfect?
agree or disagree?

whats the one with the best rep?
it seems as if i dont NEED a dampener on there, but ill probably put one on just to be safe.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
Always ran Rancho with no problem. Also ran with factory original no problem. You might look deeper into the problem than Just the steering dampener. Sounds more like a sympton that a cause. My dampener (Rancho 5000) has the same resistance either way.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Steering stabilizers are nothing more than a standard hydraulic shock absorber that gives equal resistance in both directions. Rancho's steering stabilizer works well and has a good reputation.

If yours expands on its own, that's a gas-charged (not hydraulic) shock absorber and not suitable for use as a steering stabilizer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts