Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Wrangler Sport
Auto 42RLE

When i first bought the jeep it was VERY overfilled with transmissino fluid. I have removed almost a gallon since first owning it. When cold, the transmission seems like it takes too long to shift, and knocks. Hard. Once the jeep warms up, the transmission begins to shift smoothly and perfectly. Today i was driving around with my dad with only my front driveshaft in 4h, because im waiting for my rear shaft to arrive from tatton. We were only going around town, slow. The jeep was cold, from overnight, and as we tried to go around a corner, the transmission slipped, it was in 4h but going no where as if in neutral. We had to play with it for almost 5 mins sitting at the corner to get it to grab. It happened again at the next corner. Happened twice more after that. Once it got warmed up after 10 to 15 mins, it didnt happen again and grabbed and shifted perfectly. My dad is convinced there was a proven and the transmission was overfilled with fluid to mask that problem. Does anyone think the transmission is obviously the problem? And it needs to be adjusted. Does the jeep dealership charge like$457952 for this? Because i'd rather have guaranteed certification. No messing around with people who are stupid.

IF this matters it has an aussie in the front, 4.88 gears, and from what im TOLD, no speedo gear correction. Mphs seem to be pretty accurate tho. P.O. who built the jeep had the transmission replaced and told me installation of the 4.88 gears solved his shifting problems. What do you guys have to say?
Ask more questions if necessary.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Being in 4 hi is irrelevant. As for taking to the dealership. DONT. they aren't going to warranty anything on an 06 and half of them don't know a torx bolt from a metric bolt. Ive had nothing but problems from dealerships. Find a good local guy and they will probably warranty it for at least 6 months

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I do believe you need a transmission shop to rebuild the transmission. Stop going to the Stealership, just because they sell them doesn't mean they know how to fix em. And yes they will charge you an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to update on trasmission fluid level...

on the dipstick the hot reading is farther up than the cold reading, meaning simply that the transmission fluid will read a higher level when the engine is hot.

however, this is not the case.

when off for a few hours, i have the level so that when checking the dipstick it reads right in the middle of the cold, but when the jeep is running, the fluid level doesnt even show up on the dipstick..

so transmission fluid level is LOWER when jeep is HOT, which is opposite of the way the dipstick reads..

the p.o. got the transmission replaced in 9/2010....

how do i check the speedo gear? as in where is it located...the p.o. said he never changed it.

is it not true that the shifting in my jeep is based purely on mph's? so that an improper mph reading might be causing the jeeps transmission to shift at a time that is not proper for how quick it is actually moving.

if what i just said were true tho...why would it begin to shift smoothly after having warmed up?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
both.....should an auto trans ONLY be checked when the engine is up to temp....and if so should i only make sure that it is centered on the hot level when at normal running temp?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Proceedure for checking transmission fluid level (owners manual version 2003):
1. Vehicle on level ground
2. Engine running at curb idle speed at least 60 sec and fully warmed up to operating temp
3. fully apply parking brake
4.Shift transmission into Drive and Reverse for at least 2 seconds in each gear, then shift into Neutral.
5. Fluid level MUST be checked in Neutral position on the dipstick.
6. If the fluid is hot (operating temp), reading should be on "Hot" line on the dipstick. If only warm, it should be above the "Min" hole and below the circle in the cross hatch area.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
both.....should an auto trans ONLY be checked when the engine is up to temp....and if so should i only make sure that it is centered on the hot level when at normal running temp?

YES!!!! Before you removed any fluid you should know how to check an automatic trans. You burned it up by removing the oil it needed.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Plowboy1970 said:
YES!!!! Before you removed any fluid you should know how to check an automatic trans. You burned it up by removing the oil it needed.
I didn't even think to tell him that, BUT yes there is a specific way to check it. I just changed mine and it took 6 quarts of ATF.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Engine off it will always read about an inch higher - IT MUST BE CHECKED WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!

Wondering if the reason it was too high was if the radiator cooling is leaking water into it.

IF - after you know it's the correct amount in it but it still shifts wrong, drain the fluid into a pan, let it sit awhile, then look at it. Water and ATF don't mix - you'll see the water/coolant separated in the pan.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It should be stamped on the dipstick, how to check it, and what kind of fluid to use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts