Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what I want the jeep to look like as far as lift wheels tires and fenders... This jeep doesn't look like it has a 4 inch lift but it doesn't look like it has a 2 inch lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Don't quite understand your question. Is that the deal breaker as to if you are going to buy the jeep? If those are 33" tires on the gold jeep, then there must be some lift, maybe a budget boost. You could also look underneath and see what is there. The orange jeep may have a 4" lift. Those flares that are installed deprive the vehicle of at least an inch of clearance. They slope down from the bolting point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course it's not a dealbreaker I just wanted to know if there was any live there because if not I would do one. The dealer didn't recommend a 4 inch lift he said that the driveshaft really needs to be bigger and extended otherwise it's not reliable

·
Registered
194 Posts
Look in between the mount and the spring. There may be a 2"spacer. If you don't lengthen your drive shaft you will get a lot of vibration due to the angle.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
2" of lift is not enough to effectively run 33" tires without fender mods. Your tires will encounter rubbing and clearance issues. 4" of suspension lift is recommended for 33" tires, but to do a straight up 4" suspension lift does require that you deal with drive line angles and the best way to do that is with an sye. What many do, is install a 3" suspension lift, and an 1"-1.25" body lift.

Lift Size

There are three ways a Jeep can be lifted. A suspension lift by replacing the stock springs with longer ones, A suspension lift by placing spacers on top of the springs (This is normally called a “budget boost), or a body lift which uses spacers between the factory body mounts and body or completely replaces the body mounts with taller ones.

There are also what is called leveling spacers used sometimes to install on top of springs on one end (typically on the front) to level the Jeep.

Leveling spacers is kind of a cheap way to get the Jeep to sit level. A better way is to replace the front springs with ones of a higher spring rate to carry the extra front end weight.

There are also those who will try and install budget boost spacers on top of lifted springs. This is not recommended as it leads to coil bind and a terrible riding Jeep.

Stock Jeep coil springs measure approximately 12” tall in front and 8” tall in the rear with the Jeep at ride height sitting on the ground. So to determine the amount of spring suspension lift, measure the front springs. Anything over 12” is the amount of spring suspension lift.

When you are checking the front springs, see if there is a spacer on the top of them. These can be anywhere from 3/4" to 3”. If there is one, measure the height of the spacer. This would be the amount of suspension budget boost or leveling spacer lift.

If you look just inside one of the rear tires where the frame goes up over the rear axle and the Jeep body meets the frame the stock distance there between the body and the frame is about 1/4". Anything more than that is the amount of body lift there is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was a beautiful reply thank you. I just emailed a local four-wheel-drive place where they build jeeps all the time. I'm getting a price on doing a 4 inch lift kit done right. I wouldn't be wasting my money spending several thousand dollars on a 12-year-old jeep with 100,000 miles am I?? Especially one that seems to of been maintained very meticulously

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
That was a beautiful reply thank you. I just emailed a local four-wheel-drive place where they build jeeps all the time. I'm getting a price on doing a 4 inch lift kit done right. I wouldn't be wasting my money spending several thousand dollars on a 12-year-old jeep with 100,000 miles am I?? Especially one that seems to of been maintained very meticulously
A 4" suspension lift "done right" will include adjustable johnny joint or Duroflex joint control arms and an sye.

I've got thousands and thousands in my 17 year Jeep with 130k on it, and I'm perfectly happy. All depends on what you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts