Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed my Rubicon order last week and I double checked the order confirmation from the dealer and I noticed that nowhere on the order does it specify a 4.10 axle ratio. I ordered the automatic which according to the chart that has been floating around the forum would seem to indicate my Rubicon will come with a 3.73 axle ratio unless I specify the 4.10.

I called the dealer and the salesman asked the manager that put the order in and he says the 4.10 is standard and my Rubicon will come with 4.10.

Who is right?

Here is a picture of my priced order confirmation. Can anyone that ordered a 2012 Rubicon with auto and 4.10's tell me what you saw on your priced order confirmation?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Don't need to see it.

Prior to 2012, the dealer would have been right, but as of the 2012 model year he is wrong. The 4.10s are no longer standard, and unless your order confirmation (or build sheet, or window sticker) shows them, it will come with 3.73s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep looks like you got 3.73 coming. On my order sheet for my '12 Rubicon Unlimited Auto it is very specific:

Sales Code: DMF
Description: 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
MSRP: 50
FWP: 45

·
Registered
231 Posts
rjhoskins said:
Yep looks like you got 3.73 coming. On my order sheet for my '12 Rubicon Unlimited Auto it is very specific:

Sales Code: DMF
Description: 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
MSRP: 50
FWP: 45
Same here...MTH is correct, as always.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Just to add for further confirmation ...

4.10s will show up on the POC under the Options section with a Sales Code of "DMF" and a Description of "4.10 Rear Axle Ratio"

T

·
Registered
327 Posts
Same as above, mine specifically lists 4.10s as a $50 option, it shows the trailer tow group separate in case you thought that auto selected it (it doesn't).

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stopped by the dealer on the way home from work and gave them my POC and asked them to modify the order and make sure that the 4.10 axle ratio option is added and then fax me the new POC so I can confirm.

They said they would be able to add it in the morning. That would have really licked to wait it out and then it gets here with the wrong specs. I could just see that playing out well with the dealer come time to make the purchase.

Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, where to begin.

The dealer modified my order and added the 4.10 and remote start while it was in BG status and then sent me the revised POC showing those items and the new pricing. All good right? Wrong.

I called for an update today and they tell me it has been built and should be here on October 3rd. I am super excited and I ask for the POC again so I can get the VIN in order to track the progress.

Looking at the POC now the 4.10 and remote start are missing and the vehicle is built and on the rail system on it's way to me. The killer part is that no dealer here would do a refundable deposit either and now I am afraid they will want to keep my $500.

Advice or suggestions welcome. This is truly disheartening.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If you have documentation that you are supposed to have 4.10s they should either give you your deposit back or order you a new Jeep with the right gears. If you don't have it in writing you are probably at their mercy about getting your deposit back. If they are reputable at all they should take care of you.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Well, where to begin.

The dealer modified my order and added the 4.10 and remote start while it was in BG status and then sent me the revised POC showing those items and the new pricing. All good right? Wrong.

I called for an update today and they tell me it has been built and should be here on October 3rd. I am super excited and I ask for the POC again so I can get the VIN in order to track the progress.

Looking at the POC now the 4.10 and remote start are missing and the vehicle is built and on the rail system on it's way to me. The killer part is that no dealer here would do a refundable deposit either and now I am afraid they will want to keep my $500.

Advice or suggestions welcome. This is truly disheartening.
You have a revised POC showing you ordered 4.10 and remote start. No worries on having to buy the Jeep that comes in with 3.73s or forfeit your deposit!

Reorder, or reconsider why you need 4.10s and remote start. But, get what you really want, it's your Jeep!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
If you've got 4.10s in writing or even if the dealer simply agrees that yes, in fact, he recalls you ordering 4.10s, I'd say they return your deposit or re-order.

"Non-refundable" doesn't mean they can order whatever damn jeep they want and keep your deposit. They actually need to get you what you ordered and then, if you refuse to take it, (perhaps) keep your deposit.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the dealer this morning and they confirmed the revision to add 4.10 and remote start was accepted by Chrysler yet for some unknown reason Chrysler went ahead with building the Jeep under the original configuration. The dealership is going to call their Chrysler rep and try and find out what happened and if the situation can be salvaged or if we have to reorder from scratch. Reorder might be likely at this point since the vehicle is on the rail car in transit.

To be honest I would prefer the vehicle to be built properly from the factory rather than have them try and swap out the rear end once it gets here and also put the remote start in. Just something about having it in the shop when it is brand new doesn't feel right.

Would anyone else in my position take issue with having these things done at the dealership as opposed to having it built right from the start or am I being unreasonable in not wanting to accept this vehicle? I don't know what I want to do yet, but I would appreciate some input if this were to happen to you.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
To be honest I would prefer the vehicle to be built properly from the factory rather than have them try and swap out the rear end once it gets here and also put the remote start in.
Assuming you ever want to engage 4wd, they'd have to swap the rear and the front. The diff ratios have to match.

Would anyone else in my position take issue with having these things done at the dealership as opposed to having it built right from the start or am I being unreasonable in not wanting to accept this vehicle? I don't know what I want to do yet, but I would appreciate some input if this were to happen to you.
This is a moot question.

The dealer won't do a gear swap at no charge, Chrysler won't pay them to do it when you could just reorder and the dealer can sell your original Wrangler at full price to someone else, and in any event the 2012s apparently can't be regeared at this point anyway. The fact that your sales guy may have indicated the dealer could do the regear just shows that he doesn't know what's involved.

Chrysler will advise a reorder, the dealership won't argue with that, and you'll begrudgingly accept it for lack of a better option. Though I'd push for some freebies . . . a year's worth of oil changes maybe. Something like that.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but why does the option show up as "4.10 Rear Axle Ratio"? Weird.
Never understood that myself, as it leads to exactly this type of confusion. But no, you in fact need front and rear matching R&P sets.

Having 4.10s in the rear and 3.21s in the front for example would mean that your front wheels would need to spin much faster than the rear wheels as soon as you engaged 4wd. I suspect that wouldn't work out very well.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but why does the option show up as "4.10 Rear Axle Ratio"? Weird.
Because they want you to run 37s on the back and 33s on the front. :D Kick it gangsta style.

FWIW, there is no salvaging the situation at this point. You can only swap this situation for another situation that hopefully turns out better. You may be able to use the wrong gearing as a negotiating tool, but I doubt they will go for that since they could just as easily sell it to someone else for more money.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I wouldn't accept it if that's what you ordered. They would have to refund your deposit because you're not refusing what you ordered as MTH indicated. This problem seems to have surfaced a few times on this forum alone. I don't understand the thinking at Chrysler regarding a Rubicon. Rubicons should have 4.10's period. I realize it's nice to have certain choices but if you order a Rubi or buy off of the lot it should have minimum options. Are lockers going to be an option next. Why would Chyrsler to try and fix it since it's not broken. The thinking that it's nothing to regear like it's a 5 min. fix is crazy. Unfortunately, some dealer sales staff don't know their product.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts