Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a map and saw that there appears to be access roads or trails going from Corolla, NC all the way up to Sandbridge, VA.

Does anyone know if this is drivable? or is it fenced/locked?

I would love to take a really nice slow drive from NoVA down to Corolla and that looked like it could be my ticket.

(If you know but don't want to share it so widely, I would be happy to discuss privately over DMs, and buy some beer if the answer is what I'm hoping for).

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
I read a while back that NC had closed that access road down. Only those that have grandfathered access are permitted to use it. It is all part of NC and the Outer Banks plan to discourage Jeepers from visiting the Outer Banks. They also require permits to drive on most, if not all, of the beaches that you are allowed to drive on. In some cases, the permit is actually to allow you to park on the beach as I understand it. SO I suppose if you never stopped....
Here is an article on the gate that stops you from driving down the coast.
https://www.pilotonline.com/news/transportation/article_db46aee7-9615-5d77-a86c-0a27d7c4b7a2.html
I gave up on the Outer Banks.

Here is another useful bit of information.
https://www.outerbanks.com/driving-on-the-beach.html

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can no longer get through - as of a few years ago. Those news articles are old. It is fenced, gated, and locked. I think the only through access is on the other side of the dune and ONLY for federal and state employee access to the refuge and park areas. Emergency too I guess. You can walk through a small area and that is allowed. Take a look on Google maps.

As for actually driving on the north end (Corolla area), there is no cost. It is considered NC state route 12. However, they get you if you want to stop and "park" to use the beach. Then you need the permit.

The south end (Hatteras area) is not a road, so if you want to drive there you MUST get the permit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts