Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've seen worse. The yoke is gonna stick out a little further when it's lifted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Slip yoke slides out a bit since its lifted Jeep. Driveshaft angle looks like you should go slip yoke eliminator kit and CV driveshaft esp if u plan on any off road. Off roading will cause your axle to articulate and yoke may pop out all together

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Looks like most lifted trucks to me. Never had one pop-out. It would have to move a lot more to do that.
I wouldn't waste money a slip yoke eliminator. You cam shim the leafs to get a better angle if you need to.

Are you getting and vibrations at highway speed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My yoke was similarly pulled out on my 2.5" lifted YJ. I was climbing an obstacle off road when the yoke slipped out. Destroyed the transfer case yoke housing. I suppose if u only street the jeep and have no vibes stay as is

·
Registered
924 Posts
It looks like mine. I've never had it pop out off road, but I do get some vibrations at 70-74mph. Soooo... when I'm on the highway I'm either flying, or doing 65 LOL

FYI I will be going with a SYE kit & CV shaft this winter... just to get rid of the vibrations & to straighten up that drive line angle. I like things to be right.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
d5string said:
Looks like most lifted trucks to me. Never had one pop-out. It would have to move a lot more to do that.
I wouldn't waste money a slip yoke eliminator. You cam shim the leafs to get a better angle if you need to.

You should really research why you shim a pinion angle on a cv shaft and why you keep it parallel on a non cv shaft

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with 97wrangler242. If u stay as is and got driveline vibes will need to address. I think Dj was talking out "degree" shims which change the pinion angle. Without CV equipped driveshaft, the angle at the Tcase should equal the angle at the pinion. The angles cancel each other out and help eliminate vibes. If decide to run CV driveshaft and SYE, point the pinion angle about 1 to 2 degrees below the Tcase output. This allows for the 1-2* of upward rotation of the pinion under heavy load

·
Registered
50 Posts
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle door Sky

This is what mine looks like and I'm not a fan. Will be doing sye soon. I don't like the possibility of it poping out. So I would suggest not leave it like that. If you ever go off road you may regret it or a railroad track for that matter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
d5string said:

WHat do u mean shim the leaf? And for vibrations this is my first jeep so I don't really know if I have vibrations, it seems ok

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You should really research why you shim a pinion angle on a cv shaft and why you keep it parallel on a non cv shaft
Man I am not trying to be hard to get along with but I have been doing this for a while and know what I am talking about. I am not trying to argue, I am trying to help.
I know I can't always be right, but I do lifts and custom welding as a 2nd job in the evenings and weekends and have been for years with no complaints.
I have yet to have any issues with what I suggested to the OP, but have had several issues with c-v shafts and SYE kits. I never recommend a SYE kit to anyone. I know a lot of people like them, but they are weaker and have more moving parts. Slightly rotating the pinion has always worked for every truck I have built no matter the horse power or amount of lift.

What do u mean shim the leaf? And for vibrations this is my first jeep so I don't really know if I have vibrations, it seems ok
As Cheq said I was talking about degree shims that rotate the pinion angle up a bit to keep thing lined-up. They usually either come with most good kits already built into the spring pack or as an add-on. It doesn't take but maybe 6 degrees or so to take care of this usually. As far as the vibes, I am talking about drive line vibrations from the driveline angles being out of line and binding. If you had vibrations at highway speeds you would know it after driving down the road. So you obviously do not have any.
You can have your original drive shaft lengthened if need be to fix your problem.
It is much easier than it sounds. This is what I usually do.
Most machine/welding shops can do this and properly balance it for you.
Or get the SYE kit and a custom c-v drive shaft. There are other options than the advice I am offering. I am just trying to take what I have learned and help.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Now I have to ask, was the yoke perfectly straight up and down when you took the pic? If yes I would check out the u-joint as it looks, at least in the pic, like it is bad.

Now if the yoke was slightly turned counter clockwise I would not worry about it, it is just the angle that the yoke is at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts