Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the link posted on the TL website, the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards site (https://www.chrysleraffiliates.com/JSP/indexLayout.jsp) says the TL discount was extended to 2011. No mention of 2012. Negotiating with my dealer today for a 2012 Rubi and he said he couldn't find that TL worked for 2012. Accordingly, I only got him down to $500 over invoice. Does anyone know of a Chrysler website that says the TL discount does indeed apply for 2012? Thanks all.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
You may want to try your negotiating skills and use the TL discount if you just want to buy and drive off. Your more likely to get a better deal without the TL discount by talking them down but it's up to you. Some dealerships are more willing to negotiate on the 2012s than others who won't budge. That will change with time.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
You may want to try your negotiating skills and use the TL discount if you just want to buy and drive off. Your more likely to get a better deal without the TL discount by talking them down but it's up to you. Some dealerships are more willing to negotiate on the 2012s than others who won't budge. That will change with time.
Oh, really? You wouldn't say that if you understand the Affiliate Rewards program. Any deal you can make without TL/AR would be better by up to 2% of invoice with the program.

The dealer's cost for the vehicle is REDUCED BY 2% OF INVOICE!
So, he can sell it for LESS and make the SAME profit.

It's that simple... :nonono:

Don't mean to dump on you. But, people keep making this statement, and it IS NOT TRUE!

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I bought my 2010 JK for far below dealer invoice. I had it out the door for almost a full $1,000 less than the TL 2% would have given me in the best case scenario. I negotiated and knew what I was doing. It took 3 months of talking but it got done.

That my friend is what myself and others are talking about.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If one or two percent under invoice isn't considered a good deal, then what the devil is?

Life is short, and folks need to eat on both sides of the table. Make a good deal on the one you like, bought from folks who might- might actually give a s*** and be around if you have a problem, and get to Jeepin'!

·
4,666 Posts
I bought my 2010 JK for far below dealer invoice. I had it out the door for almost a full $1,000 less than the TL 2% would have given me in the best case scenario. I negotiated and knew what I was doing. It took 3 months of talking but it got done.

That my friend is what myself and others are talking about.
You would have gotten the vehicle for less if you had used tread lightly/Affiliate Rewards. You do not understand the program, or, you're in denial, my friend.

The dealer cannot sell the vehicle for more than 1% below invoice. BUT, he does NOT have to sell the vehicle for just 1% below, he can give you ANY ADDITIONAL DISCOUNT you can negotiate. With TL/AR, The dealer gets an EXTRA payment (more money, mula, bucks, greenbacks) above holdback, for 2% of invoice. So he could have gone another 2% of invoice LOWER than the deal you made, and made the EXACT same profit.

You left in the neighborhood of $500 on the table. No way around it.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Of course it's entirely up to the dealer to do as you've said in addition to any rewards program.

2010 JK MSRP $24, 549 w/ options
Dealer Invoice $21, 135
Out the door for me $19,033 from negotiations

Dealers will give you 1-2% off invoice with a TL discount but then you are looking at their doc fees, delivery charge, state taxes, tags and title, prep fees, and anything else they can "come up" with to move that price up higher. My out the door was $19,033 ALL FEES AND BS INCLUDED. No way TL could have gotten me to this number or even close enough. The dealers still charged all of his miscellaneous fees with this price but on my buy sheet the JK was priced out the door for me from negotiating around $17,800 and I bought one brand new.

I challenge you to find anyone on this board who paid anything less than this using TL and or "negotiations" on a mint 2010 JK 2 door. Good luck.

·
4,666 Posts
Of course it's entirely up to the dealer to do as you've said in addition to any rewards program.

Dealer Invoice $21, 135

Dealers will give you 1-2% off invoice with a TL discount but then you are looking at their doc fees, delivery charge, state taxes, tags and title, prep fees, and anything else they can "come up" with to move that price up higher. My out the door was $19,033 ALL FEES AND BS INCLUDED. No way TL could have gotten me to this number or even close enough. The dealers still charged all of his miscellaneous fees with this price but on my buy sheet the JK was priced out the door for me from negotiating around $17,800 and I bought one brand new.

I challenge you to find anyone on this board who paid anything less than this using TL and or "negotiations" on a mint 2010 JK 2 door. Good luck.

Ya' just refuse to understand the TL/AR program and the advantage it gives you in horsetrading for a vehicle . Ya' just can't educate some people. :deadhorse:

You'd have gotten it for ±$18,600 with TL/AR. :nonono:

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
You'd have gotten it for ±$18,600 with TL/AR.
And then paid Dealer prep, tags title, tax, doc fees, delivery charge.

$18,600
State Tax 3% = $558.00
Tags + Title = $74.00
Doc Fee = $399.00
Dealer Prep = $299.00

Total with TL = $19930.00

Ya' just can't educate some people.
No kidding.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
ESP123 said:
And then paid Dealer prep, tags title, tax, doc fees, delivery charge
Delivery, tax, tags, yes. But I thought TL set the doc fee at some relatively low number? Dealer prep too. I thought it was an "out of the door" price?

·
4,666 Posts
Delivery, tax, tags, yes. But I thought TL set the doc fee at some relatively low number? Dealer prep too. I thought it was an "out of the door" price?
No 'dealer prep', or other 'dealer mark-up' charges allowed with TL/AR. DOC fees limited to: 1. DOC fees set by state law, if any 2. Same DOC fee charged on all vehicle sales by dealership if one set fee 3. $75 (this is the only one I'm not completely clear on)

·
4,666 Posts
And then paid Dealer prep, tags title, tax, doc fees, delivery charge.

$18,600
State Tax 3% = $558.00
Tags + Title = $74.00
Doc Fee = $399.00
Dealer Prep = $299.00

Total with TL = $19930.00

No kidding.

You'd have been out the door for $500 less with TL/AR. Just a fact. 'Bout everybody here but you gets it. :nonono:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the dialog guys. I didn't mean to start a ruckus. Personal bargaining aside, it's still unclear whether Chrysler is offering the TL deal for 2012 models. I've seen nothing saying they are extending it and my dealer doesn't see anything either.

·
4,666 Posts
Thanks for all the dialog guys. I didn't mean to start a ruckus. Personal bargaining aside, it's still unclear whether Chrysler is offering the TL deal for 2012 models. I've seen nothing saying they are extending it and my dealer doesn't see anything either.
The program is renewed on a calendar year basis. Yes, until Dec. 31, 2011, you can by almost all Chrysler vehicles, including all 2012 model year Wranglers, with the TL/AR program. It will very likely be renewed in 2012, but, no one can say for sure.

I don't mean to come on too strong about our friends deal. He obviously has superior bargaining skills! I just can't sit by and let misinformation on the Affiliate Rewards program discourage others from using it to get the best deal possible!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Up Hill Bill. That's helpful. You're right, taken literally, the AR site does say it's been renewed for 2011 implying calendar year and not model year. I'll run with that.

·
4,666 Posts
Thanks Up Hill Bill. That's helpful. You're right, taken literally, the AR site does say it's been renewed for 2011 implying calendar year and not model year. I'll run with that.
I, and many other 2012 buyers, purchased 2012s with the TL/AR program. I concluded my purchase and got the 1% below invoice price less than three weeks ago. It'll work for you. Remember, you are supposed to be a member of TL for 30 days before using the Affiliate Rewards control number to buy your Jeep.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Dealer Invoice $21, 135

Either you aren't telling us the whole story or you had the biggest idiot of a dealer you could possibly have had. The dealer pays invoice, but they get 3% of that back from the manufacturer so they are making 3% when they sell at invoice price. That means that based on the numbers you supplied that they would break even if they sold to you for $20399. If what you are telling us is accurate, they went in the hole $2600 for the privelege of doing business with you. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just a reminder if you use the TL discount at a dealer that has not done a TL discount before make sure you explain to him that you do not work for TL or Chrysler and your TL membership letter with a control number authorizes you to get 1% under factory invoice.
My dealer after 5 days called me back and insisted that I show proof with a pay stub that I worked for TL so he could get his 3% back from Chrysler.
I went back to his office and he showed me the form with requirements that said a pay stub is needed. About the 4th paragraph down it also said the TL membership letter could be used to very eligibility.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts