Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Does you side marker fender flare lights blink with turn signals when lights are off.

• No blink when lights are off, yes when lights are on.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes they blink when lights are off.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Never blink at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curiosity from another thread has me wondering.

Pretty simple. With all lights turned off, do your side marker lights, in the fender flares, blink when the turn signal is activated?

My 04 TJ does not, but they blink opposite the front signals when the lights are on.

I am wondering if there are differences in the years, or where they were sold.

Thank you in advance for participating.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
haha...well currently my stock ones DO blink with the lights off, but we will see what happens after I do that LED swap we talked about. I will say it is hard to see them during the day, though.

:)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I believe all the stock TJ's do. I haven't seen any that don't, and all the TJ front light wiring diagrams that I've seen are the same. Mine is a 1999 and mine does. Timberline's 2004 apparently does.

·
Detail Oriented
3,172 Posts
These have more than one filament in the bulbs. Like high/low beam halogens, one can burn out while the other works fine. Mine never blinked at all; they were either on or off. I swapped the bulbs and now they blink fine. Lights on or off, they blink counter to the lights on the fenders; when one is on the other is off. I think the fender-mounted ones blink with the tail lights and the side markers on the flares blink opposite to them.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Curiosity from another thread has me wondering.

Pretty simple. With all lights turned off, do your side marker lights, in the fender flares, blink when the turn signal is activated?

My 04 TJ does not, but they blink opposite the front signals when the lights are on.

I am wondering if there are differences in the years, or where they were sold.

Thank you in advance for participating.
Is the other thread is your fender thread?

I have a 2004 LJ and had to do the diode and resistor mod to get the fender light to blink. I also had to get an "Offroad only" relay for the steering column so the light wouldnt blink fast. My marker now blinks when the lights are off, when parking lights are on, and when all lights are on. If you want me to search for the write up for you I can.

edit forgot to add: My Dad's 98 TJ did not need the relay mod but did need the diode and resistor mod to get them working again.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
These have more than one filament in the bulbs. Like high/low beam halogens, one can burn out while the other works fine. Mine never blinked at all; they were either on or off. I swapped the bulbs and now they blink fine. Lights on or off, they blink counter to the lights on the fenders; when one is on the other is off. I think the fender-mounted ones blink with the tail lights and the side markers on the flares blink opposite to them.
Actually, there is only one filament in the flare bulb. When the running lights are off, and the blinker is turned on, the flare lamp blinks with the front fender and rear blinker. When the runing lights are on and the blinker is turned on, it simply shuts off the running light on the flare every time the fender blinks on, making them opposite.

There is no ground to body on the flare lamp, but the circuit uses a floating ground through the opposite hot lead and filament in the front fender lamp.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes me think mine was not working properly from the get go. Or, I never noticed, or paid attention, to them blinking with the lights off.

It was over 3 years ago when I cut them off.....plus I'm getting old.

My slight case of OCD has to know. I have over 6 buddies with TJs, they are going to think I'm nuts when I reach in and flip their turn signal on. Lol!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
It was over 3 years ago when I cut them off.....plus I'm getting old.

My slight case of OCD has to know. I have over 6 buddies with TJs, they are going to think I'm nuts when I reach in and flip their turn signal on. Lol!
Boy, do I know that feeling...!:happyyes:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Wow, I thought this poll was going to take off...lol Guess nobody likes talking about bulbs..hahaha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts